× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN2500RPv2 pulling bizarre IP address on one band

cswiii
Aspirant

WN2500RPv2 pulling bizarre IP address on one band

Network configuration:

In my house, I have the following configuration:

• Second floor contains my cable modem+wifi router
  • On first floor, I have an extender, WN2500RPv2
  • On third floor, I have an extender, AC1200

Other relevant details: 

• My home network is on the 172.31.1.x subnet, as to not conflict with the internal network I connect to at work.
  • Each of my extenders gets a static DHCP address and hostname based on MAC address, assigned by my wireless router.
    • the WN2500RPv2 is 172.31.1.5 ('ext-1')
    • the AC1200 is 172.31.1.6 ('ext-2')

The Problem:

Occasionally I will get spotty network connectivity, despite having full or mostly full signal.  This usually resolves itself, but sometimes causes issues when streaming video, or doing teleconference, etc.

Trying to debug this, I was comparing the configuration between the two extenders, side by side, when I noticed that, on the WN2500RPv2, I was not seeing what I'd expect to get as the proper IP address for the 5GHz band. 

To better explain, please see the following screenshots:

screenshots comparing two extenders

As you can see, on the AC1200, I am properly getting assigned 172.31.1.6 IP address for both bands.  On the WN2500RPv2, I am getting the proper IP address for the 2.4Ghz band, but for some reason the 5GHz band is showing up as an internal/reserved (192.168.x.x) IP address which does not exist on my network.

I can't say for sure that this is the cause of my issues (e.g., drift from one extender to another, suddenly find myself disassociated because of a bad route), but at very least, something doesn't seem quite right.

Other Debugging

• To assure each of these was set up correctly -- to be sure that one wasn't trying to connect to the other instead of the router during set up - I initially connected them each in isolation
  • I have since gone and redone setup for each.
  • The router and the extenders have each been rebooted a handful of times to try and shake the odd IP address, to no avail.
  • I don't see any out of the ordinary IP or DHCP stuff on my router. 
  • I have the latest firmware installed for each.
  • I have tried forcing an IP in the settings for the WN2500RPv2 rather than try and pick it up via DHCP.  This has had no noticeable effect.

Model: EX6200|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender,WN2500RPv2|N600 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Re: WN2500RPv2 pulling bizarre IP address on one band

If you ping 192.168.3.1, is there a response?  You may have to join the WN2500RPv2's 5 GHz network and static the joining device to use a static IP address, like 192.168.3.2.

Message 2 of 4
cswiii
Aspirant

192.168.3.1 cannot be pinged.

To clarify/reiterate - the IP above does not correspond to a device connected to the extender.  If you examine the screenshots, this is not the portion of the UI that shows connected devices -  It is what the extender reports as its own IP for the internal MAC address associated with the 5GHz band.

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Yes, I understand.  I was just wondering if the extender actually obtained that address for itself.  Does the extender's 5 GHz band work, otherwise?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7