× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN3000RP connectivity problems

emmie
Follower

WN3000RP connectivity problems

I have just installed a new WN3000RP. After upgrading the firmware I managed to get it working with the router and a PC. However I am not able to connect any other wireless device (W7 PC, android phone, ipod, xbox). I have tried various security settings but none helped. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 6
TonyMarxsen
Aspirant

Re: WN3000RP connectivity problems

I have spent about six hours getting this to work (a WNDR3700v2 gateway with a WN3000RP extender). The only way it will work for me is to turn off the access control list in the WNDR3700v2. If it is turned on (even if the WN3000RP is included in the list and appears to link to the gateway router OK) the extender gives no DHCP responses to connecting wireless devices. I can't even connect to it with the cat5 cable to manage it. With access control turned off on the gateway router, the setup works perfectly.
Message 2 of 6
m4rky
Novice

add WN2500RP also

I have a very similar issues with a Netgear WN2500RP extender and a Netgear WNDR4500 wireless router.

The Symptoms..... unable access set up pages for extender and when it does connect its often shown as limited access and and unidentified network with no internet access.

I tracked this down to probably problems with the extender getting an IP address due, MAC filtering AKA access control list set up on the router. I did add all the MAC addresses for the extender that I could find in the router access list when access control off. There were three off them! Even with these MAC addresses enter into he control list I still have connectivity problems with access control turned on in the router.

If I turn it access control off in the router then all the issues disappear!!

I also have access control enabled in the extender but the router never shows up in the access list for the extender even with it ACL turned off. There is only a LAN port and Internet MAC addresses shwon in the router status page. No MAC's listed for the wireless side that I could find. Could lack of a MAC address to set for the router in the extender ACL be connected to this too?

Both Netgear boxes have the latest firmware.

Any got any ideas an what to do next! I prefer to keep my access control on!!
Message 3 of 6
m4rky
Novice

add WN2500RP also to this issue

I have a very similar issues with a Netgear WN2500RP extender and a Netgear WNDR4500 wireless router.

The Symptoms..... unable access set up pages for extender and when it does connect its often shown as limited access and and unidentified network with no internet access.

I tracked this down to probably problems with the extender getting an IP address due, MAC filtering AKA access control list set up on the router. I did add all the MAC addresses for the extender that I could find in the router access list when access control off. There were three off them! Even with these MAC addresses enter into he control list I still have connectivity problems with access control turned on in the router.

If I turn it access control off in the router then all the issues disappear!!

I also have access control enabled in the extender but the router never shows up in the access list for the extender even with it ACL turned off. There is only a LAN port and Internet MAC addresses shwon in the router status page. No MAC's listed for the wireless side that I could find. Could lack of a MAC address to set for the router in the extender ACL be connected to this too?

Both Netgear boxes have the latest firmware.

Any got any ideas an what to do next! I prefer to keep my access control on!!

Thanks, Mark
Message 4 of 6
m4rky
Novice

Checked the MAC addresses on the back of the extender and they are slightly different to the ones reported by the router!!! I added the missing ones manually but problems remains.

I cannot use the MAC access control on my router because the extender gets a limited or no connection and looses its IP address.

To answer my own question above... Access control on the extender... on or off makes no difference.

Something is not correct about the MAC addresses being reported for the extender. I have many other wireless devices with no issues concerning access control and 'false' mac addresses appearing in the router lists.

So, my guess is the extender has a problem with the sending of its MAC addresses to the router. Can anyone else confirm this ?
Message 5 of 6
m4rky
Novice

I fixed my connectivity problems 🙂

I posted my investigations and final fix here

To save you the time reading that long post the fix was to add the 'virtual' MAC addresses for my devices to my routers access control list. A MAC address is subtly changed on passing onwards via the extender, therefore it is unrecognised and gets blocked by the routers access control; if enabled.

!! virtual MAC addresses are almost the same as the original MAC addresses except for the first two characters.

:o:o:o easy to miss :o:o:o
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7