× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN3000RPv2 extended network very slow download speed

TheIronWolf
Aspirant

WN3000RPv2 extended network very slow download speed

I am having issue with WN3000RPv2 extended network. I am able to successfully configure it to extend my wireless network. However, internet connections going through extended network are extremely slow. Speedtest.net shows download speed of 12mbps if connected through primary SSID and 0.30mbps through _EXT SSID. I am confident that speedtest is correct, because internet connections via _EXT are very slow, even subjectively.

Interestingly, upload speeds are not impacted (2.5mbps, same as with primary SSID).

A bit of details I feel might be relevant:
* Slowness is reproducible from all wireless clients I tried, so this is definitely problem with range extender, not client devices.
* Range extender is updated to the latest firmware: (36 version)
* I am creating new SSID not reusing existing one, so range extender runs myoldssid_EXT. I do that because if I reuse existing SSID clients randomly connect to either slower or faster version of network.

* Link rate reported in Extender is 144mbps, so it's good. 91% signal strength.
* I tried changing router channels (extender changes channel automatically to match router).
* Current router is Netgear WNR3500L, is up to date as well. Speed is set up to 145mbps
* Wi-fi signal of _EXT network is strong in the tray icon (full bars).

Please, help, I've spent a lot of time trying to make extender work, so far with no luck. I tried wi-fi Analyzer and it doesn't seem like there is too much interference.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
TheIronWolf
Aspirant

Re: WN3000RPv2 extended network very slow download speed

I decided to move to another router and problems went away. Thank you for your help Andy.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@TheIronWolf wrote:

* Link rate reported in Extender is 144mbps, so it's good. 91% signal strength.

Is that the connection status from the extender to the base-station (router)?

Have you followed positioning guidance for the extender to ensure it's position between the router and the client machines is optimised?

Message 2 of 8
TheIronWolf
Aspirant

Yes, this is the connection status from the Extender Web UI to router.

Yes, my extender is positioned rather mid-way between clients and router. Router is on the first floor, extender is on the second floor, not right to the router nor too close to clients. All leds on the extender are solid green, so they indicate good connection per my understanding.

Message 3 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try a LAN – LAN transfer of a file to see roughly what rate you get, using two wireless computers connected to the extender. Then maybe do the same again but with one of the computers wirelessly connected to the base-station. This might help identify where the issue is, with the extender alone or its connection back to the base-station

Message 4 of 8
TheIronWolf
Aspirant

Thank you for getting back to me. Netgear support beats TPLink.

I does not look like my poblem is at the LAN level. LAN speeds are reasonable, but Internet connection speed is horrendous via the extender.

Here are tests I did:

Devices:

Desktop 1: connected to router via network cable.

Laptop: 54mbit wi-fi

Desktop 2 wifi 300mbps, or network cable to extender.

Approximate LAN speeds:

Desktop 1 to Laptop, Main SSID: 2.5Mb/s Upload: 2.0Mb/s
Desktop 1 to Laptop, Secondary SSID: 1.5Mb/s Upload: 1.2Mb/s  - it is slower, but reasonably slower, so I am ok here.

Desktop 2 to any machine via primary SSID or secondary SSID: ~700k downloadd/upload

Desktop 2 to any machine via network cable to extender 5Mb/s download/upload - excellent!

Desktop 2 is the reason why i am messing with extender. Primary SSID is too weak in there (or, maybe poor wireless adapter). However, with network cable connected to extender, LAN speeds are great! But, not internet. speedtest.net shows 0.2mbps download and 2mbps upload. And, it is not just speed test reports bad number - browsing is horribly slow. It is impossible to watch youtube at lowest settings.

Please note I didn't do any custom DHCP/IP settings in extender/router, neither I know if I need to do something

It seems that problem might be caused by router (which is also netgear, so you can reproduce it in house) or cable modem somehow. it is Arris wbm760A, latest firmware.

Any suggestions?

Message 5 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So, just to be clear, is this the line you have an issue with?

“Desktop 2 to any machine via primary SSID or secondary SSID: ~700k downloadd/upload”

Is the Primary SSID the base router and the Secondary SSID the extender?

What is the model number of the router and the Arris modem please?

You mention a ‘network cable to the extender’ for Desktop 2, does this also give poor Internet throughput?

Please note that I work ‘with’ Netgear, not ‘for’ Netgear, my day job is a Defence Systems Engineer. If this issue proved difficult to diagnose I can pass information on to Netgear for assistance, but I’m not sure we’re at that point yet.

Message 6 of 8
TheIronWolf
Aspirant

Yes, “Desktop 2 to any machine via primary SSID or secondary SSID: ~700k downloadd/upload” is the problematic system. 

"You mention a ‘network cable to the extender’ for Desktop 2, does this also give poor Internet throughput? " - yes, I get 5mb/s in LAN via extender connected to base router and ethernet cable to Desktop 2. But, Internet connection is unusable. Very slow, and unreliable.

"Is the Primary SSID the base router and the Secondary SSID the extender?" - yes, this is correct.

Router is: NETGEAR WNR3500Lv2 firmware V1.2.0.34_40.0.75

Modem is: MODEL: Arris WBM760A  

Firmware Name:TS0706116_121614_WBM760_CM820
Firmware Build Time:Tue Dec 16 06:47:09 EST 2014

Thanks for bearing with me.

Message 7 of 8
TheIronWolf
Aspirant

I decided to move to another router and problems went away. Thank you for your help Andy.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7