× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi - Will Nighthawk x6s ex8000 Improve Download Speeds

terrypaine
Follower

WiFi - Will Nighthawk x6s ex8000 Improve Download Speeds

Hi

I'm not too WiFi savvy so please bear with me.  

I am thinking of buying the Nighthawk x6s ex8000, to replace a 5-year old Netgear Wifi extender.

The reason for this is that I'm getting very variable WiFi down load speeds (e.g. less that 1 Mbps up to 80 Mbps).

There is nothing wrong with my internet connection per se as, via an ethernet cable, the download rate is consistently 110 Mbps.

The problem comes when I use the WiFi output from the Router.

If I use the Wifi signal directly from the Router the download signal is variable: less than 1 up to 80 Mbps with 5% of readings below 1 Mbps. If I use the Wifi sigal produced via my existing Netgear Wifi extender the situation is somewhat worse: less that 1 up to 50 Mbps, with about 12% of readings below 1 Mbps.

Do you think that replacing my existing Netgear Wifi extender with the powerful Nighthawk x6s ex8000 will improve matters?

My suspicion (founded on little knowledge admittedly) is that the best a WiFi extender can do is reproduce quantitatively the WiFi signal coming directly out of the Rounter. So if the WiFi signal coming out of the Router is, say download speed of 40 Mbps, then this is the best the WiFi extender is going to be able to do.

Would be grateful for any thoughts.

Rob

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series