× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi extender Failure

RobRamshackle
Aspirant

WiFi extender Failure

I tried using a netgear wifi extender last year, but it was such a failure as the signal continually dropped out making it useless.

Anyway, this year I am adding a wired extension to my network, using a LAN switch and cables (obviously!).  That is so I can use other PCs in areas where the WiFi does not reach.  However, I still want to use WiFi on phones etc in thos areas so I thought I'd give the netgear range extender another try.

I plugged it into the LAN switch (assuming that, if I was only extending wifi from THAT point, the signal may not drop off so easilly) and it lit up to go, but here's the issue:  When the extender is plugged into the LAN switch, the wired connection from the switch to other PCs drops out.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Obviously I've considered the whole smashing the netgear extender with a lump hammer.

Message 1 of 3
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WiFi extender Failure

Hi RobRamshackle,

Which WiFi extender are you using? and which router is connected to it?

Please connect an ethernet cord from your switch to your WiFi extender and set it up as "Access Point" not "Extender".

Message 2 of 3
RobRamshackle
Aspirant

Re: WiFi extender Failure

Thanks, I can see now that this extender (WN3000RP) shouldn't be connected by LAN and only works via WiFi as an extender, not an access point.  I'm going to open another thread as my main problem is not this now. Thanks for your help anyway

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7