× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

which extender to purchase?

mtebor
Aspirant

which extender to purchase?

Even though I have a small house, my router is in basement and I am having weak connections going through brick for outside use.

I am looking for a wireless extender recommendation that is compatible with this router. 

Thanks

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: which extender to purchase?

@mtebor wrote:

Even though I have a small house, my router is in basement and I am having weak connections going through brick for outside use.

I am looking for a wireless extender recommendation that is compatible with this router. 

Thanks

that "going through brick" is the issue right there. Wifi struggles with brick. Its excellent at blocking wifi signals. If you're needing wifi outdoors your options come down to:

1. put a device in a window so it'll broadcast through the glass. 

2. run an ethernet wire outdoors and connect something like the WBC502 running in access point mode

3. run a powerline device with wifi adapter to get it outdoors. They're not outdoor rated so you'd have to setup your own protective setup for it. 

Message 2 of 6
mtebor
Aspirant

Thanks for the recommendation.  

Because it is a video doorbell that is giving me the issue, I could put the extender near a window.  I am just wondering which extender/mesh would work best and is compatable with my current router (purchased 9 months ago)

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@mtebor wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation.  

Because it is a video doorbell that is giving me the issue, I could put the extender near a window.  I am just wondering which extender/mesh would work best and is compatable with my current router (purchased 9 months ago)

Not sure which router you purchased but most extenders are compatible. 

Are you putting the extender outdoors then? On the inside of the glass? 

reason I ask is most video doorbells are right up against the brick and if the extender is indoors, its not going to be line of sight for the doorbell. 

Same with many that you place outdoors. to hit the doorbell without the brick in the way, you'll want pretty much line of sight on that doorbell or it'll cause issues. 

Sorry brick/concrete are a PITA. 

Message 4 of 6
mtebor
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Nighthawk ax4 Rax 40.

The router is down in my basement.  I live is small cape style hows about 1,000 sq ft. 

I was going to have the extender plugged in near a window that is about 12 feet away the doorbell.  Or I could put on an inside wall that is closer but it goes through brick or steel door.

I would think any type of extender would help at this point.  I just want to make sure it is compatible with the router

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Any of netgear's extenders should work if you're using the RAX40. but again, your issue is the brick. from the sound of it, your house isn't huge so its not a distance issue, its the brick. Not sure if an extender will help unless you can get a line of sight on the doorbell that bypasses the brick. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7