× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot login to router 1st time and also after factory reset

bluwavguy
Aspirant

Cannot login to router 1st time and also after factory reset

Hi, I have a new wnr2000v5 router, installed it in Sept. Using Win10/Chrome and also Windows Edge in attempt to login using default user id and password. No luck. read a post on the 30sec factory reset (30/30/30) and still cannot login to 192.168.1.1. Genie attemps to help but does not recognize serial number and I've not setup the password reset 2 question query so that fails too...

I've read through a host of posts but I have not been able to find a solution. This is the 1st time I have attempted to access the router and its weird that I cannot get past the basic security.

please advise as this is quite frustrating. 

Model: JWNR2000v5|N300 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Cannot login to router 1st time and also after factory reset

Hi bluwavguy,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> Using Win10/Chrome and also Windows Edge in attempt to login using
> default user id and password. No luck. read a post on the 30sec factory
> reset (30/30/30) and still cannot login to 192.168.1.1.

What, exactly, does "No luck" mean?  "cannot login" is not a useful
problem description.  It does not say what you did.  It does not say
what happened when you did it.  As usual, showing actual actions with
their actual results (error messages, ...) can be more helpful than
vague descriptions or interpretations.

Is your browser getting to the router's web page?  Which "default
user id and password" are you giving it?  You want "admin" and
"password", not the wireless-network credentials.

Message 2 of 6
bluwavguy
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the response. 

Using my chrome browser, entered 192.168.1.1 to access the admin login window. Using the default admin/password creds in the authentication window and hitting enter...no error messages..just the authentication window reappearing. 

Then after several attemps I receive http://192.168.1.1/unauth.cgi and the 401 Authorization Netgeat Genie window promting me to enter serial id. I do this then a new Router Password recovery window appears. I never set up the router so I cannot enter the 2 question query. 

So then I tried to master reset the router. In reading a tech reply to a post she indicated to push the power buttom 30 sec, keep pressed 30 sec with no power, keep pressed with power on for 30 sec. This did not reset the router. 

Hope this clarifies my issue in attempting to access a new out of the box router (installed Sept) that has never been modified.

Regards,

Message 3 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi bluwavguy,

Try to use a different computer. Also try to clear the cache of the browser.

Message 4 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi bluwavguy,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 5 of 6
bluwavguy
Aspirant

Once I found the user manual on your website was able to locate master reset button on the bottom of the router. I performed the reset I was able to use the default admin account to access the router. Why the new out of the box router was not accessible via the default admin user account is. Mystery.

Model: JNR3000|N300 Gigabit Wireless Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7