Newcomer

Creating bridge, WNR2000

Hello,
I'm having difficulty bridging the gap of inter-connectivity within my home.
Basically, I have a WNR834Bv2 connected to the internet, and on the opposite of the house I have a xbox without a wireless card. I've bought a WNR2000 in hopes to bridge the gap, and I can't seem to get the wireless repeating function to work correctly. I'd rather it not be a repeater because of data loss and other problems I've read about, but it doesn't seem like it can just become a bridge without them being wired together.
I've got some children here that don't need to be tripping over wires and falling to their deaths down the stairs, and I can't be bothered with crawling in the gap between floors and cutting holes all over the house. I don't have the several days it would take to accomplish this task.

Here's a basic diagram of what I need to accomplish: (- is wired, ~ is wireless)
Internet ~~> WNR834Bv2 ~~> WNR2000 --> xbox

There's also going to be a laptop and a PC connected wirelessly to the WNR2000, and 2 PCs connected to the WNR834Bv2.

Before you ask, no I can not move the xbox to another room because that's the media room and it doesn't make sense to move my plasma tv to a room with windows and some ambiance/children running about screaming.

I've followed this guide http://www.unix.ms/netgear/ step by step, three times now without any luck(nix any reference to a second repeater). After the WNR2000 is set up as the repeater, it simply disappears from all PC's wireless network list. Doesn't forward the xbox's info to the WNR834Bv2's dhcp server for an IP address, and just seems to stop doing anything.
Both routers "support" repeating and have a "Wireless repeating function" section on the settings.

Any help will be appreciated,
Matt
Regular Contributor

Re: Creating bridge, WNR2000

WNR834B must have WDS supported

you must have WNR200v2 to have WDS in order to make this work
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Newcomer

So, what you're telling me is that even though Netgear itself marketed this product as having a wireless repeating function, it doesn't?
That was the one selling point that made me buy this router ($40) instead of others that I just researched that do include wds.
What's the point of having "Wireless Repeating Function" in the advanced settings if it doesn't have it?
Sounds like false advertising imho.
Newcomer

Yeah, this page is the reason I bought the router:
http://netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNR2000.aspx

The picture clearly shows that the serial # is WNR2000, and not WNR2000v2.
"From that page" wrote:
Configurable as a wireless repeater to extend range
Newcomer

Also on your website (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34/kw/wds/r_id/100109) it states that the WNR834Bv2 supports WDS, and HERE it states that the new firmware added support for WDS.
A little help please? Smiley Tongue
Newcomer

zion05 wrote:
Also on your website (HERE) it states that the WNR834Bv2 supports WDS, and HERE it states that the new firmware added support for WDS.
A little help please? Smiley Tongue

Fixed since can't edit.
Regular Contributor

zion05 wrote:
Yeah, this page is the reason I bought the router:
http://netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNR2000.aspx

The picture clearly shows that the serial # is WNR2000, and not WNR2000v2.

V1 do not support WDS
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Newcomer

jmizoguchi wrote:
V1 do not support WDS

So.. That's it? I did all that research, and V1 doesn't support it.
The two pages where Netgear says that it does support it, are lies.
Guess I'll call the telephone support and see what they suggest I do with false advertising.
Regular Contributor

zion05 wrote:
So.. That's it? I did all that research, and V1 doesn't support it.
The two pages where Netgear says that it does support it, are lies.
Guess I'll call the telephone support and see what they suggest I do with false advertising.

this is enough said in threads.

V2 is only one will work. you should get same answer
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Newcomer

Correct me if I'm wrong, English isn't your first language. Also, you don't work for Netgear, so you haven't been trained in Netgear or their products, so you have no idea what you're talking about. You're just a moderator on their forums.
So, where are you getting your information from? The internet? If so, how do you know they're not lies like the ones in the links I provided?
I came here for support, asking how to do something, and all you tell me is that it can't be done.
It can't be done even though 2 places on this very website state that it can. It can't be done even with "Configurable as a wireless repeater to extend range" ON THE SIDE OF IT'S BOX.
Is there anyone on these forums that can actually help me, or do I have to go through the BBB and my lawyer to get this stupid router to work?
Discussion Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Top Contributors