× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Installation should be added with placement tips regarding wifi-coverage!!

donald24
Tutor

Installation should be added with placement tips regarding wifi-coverage!!

Hey Netgear-support,

regarding the wifi-coverage, I'd like to have some info about the placement of the devices of the WAC-family.

I.e. : So for a large one floor area would it be better to place the device on a ceiling in the center of 100sqm area or high on a wall facing the area?

Your development department should already have documents about this, can you make them available to the public?

Thank you,

Nick

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Installation should be added with placement tips regarding wifi-coverage!!

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi donald24,

Let me share the articles below and it might help:

Wireless Site Surveys: The Secret to Great WLAN Coverage

Best Practices for High Density Wireless Network Design In Education and Small/Medium Businesses

Recommendations when installing your ProSAFE access point

Hope it helps! 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@donald24,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to access and read the articles I've shared?  Let us know if you have further questions.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
donald24
Tutor

Yes, thank you. It was an interesting read!

I know, wifi-ap-placement ist a difficult topic and deeply dependant on site structural elements. The documents you linked are generally discussing integration and configuration options for making clear the possibilities you have when planning for high-density areas and avoiding placing near wifi-beams obstructing objects. Though this is quite interesting, I'd liked to have information on how the beams are sending and receiving in regards to the orientation of the specific device. 

For example, there are APs out there, that are designed to bundle their signal only on the top-site making it perfect for a ceiling installation. On the other hand, there are APs that are designed with omnidirectional characteristics, making the signal travel like a bubble forming around the device. These could be placed on side walls.

I'd like to know the design of the WAC family and there measured maximum strength normally measured in free area. With that info, I could better build a suiting integration plan for my firm.

Ah I found the following in your guides:

• In a wall mounted installation, the best location is at the center of your WiFi coverage area, and within line of sight of all wireless devices. Make sure that the top (the dome side) of the access point is directed toward the users and not the wall.

• In a drop ceiling installation, the best location is at the center of your WiFi coverage area, and within line of sight of all wireless devices. Make sure that the top (the dome side) of the access point is directed toward the users and not the ceiling.

• Before mounting the access point in a high location, first set up and test the access point to verify WiFi network connectivity.

• Do not place the access point in a false ceiling space facing up.

That answers my questions quite well, as it states out, the beams are forming out the top-site dome, hence for my plan ceiling installation top-down is the proper choice.

Marked as solution - Thank you!

Don

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements