× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Outdoor access point

Outdoor access point

I am looking to provide better wifi on my deck. I have a wired network from a ATT Remote Gateway (1 Gig) to a Netgear unmanaged switch. I have CAT 6 to an LG TV, Netgear WAX 620 and a couple of jacks. This all works. I am looking to run CAT 6 to my deck. Does Netgear make a small access point I can plug into the wall outside (under the eaves and GFCI outlet) and connect to CAT 6? Maybe the Powerline? I know I can use many of Netgears products. I am trying to eliminate the power supply cord and large device. This would help with wireless connections to my cameras on the deck and surfing. 

Thank you

Lynwood HodgeIMG_4180.jpeg

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Outdoor access point

@HarmonHodge wrote:

I am looking to run CAT 6 to my deck. Does Netgear make a small access point I can plug into the wall outside (under the eaves and GFCI outlet) and connect to CAT 6?

Alternate to an expensive power installation with GFCI, connector boxes and space for huge power bricks, consider a PoE+ or PoE++ wireless access point on a CAT6 or better cabling.

Cumbersome is that enclosures for wireless AP are not inexpensive.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Why not look for an outdoor rated POE powered access point like the WAX610y?

Message 2 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@HarmonHodge wrote:

I am looking to run CAT 6 to my deck. Does Netgear make a small access point I can plug into the wall outside (under the eaves and GFCI outlet) and connect to CAT 6?

Alternate to an expensive power installation with GFCI, connector boxes and space for huge power bricks, consider a PoE+ or PoE++ wireless access point on a CAT6 or better cabling.

Cumbersome is that enclosures for wireless AP are not inexpensive.

Message 3 of 11

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. it will be under the eves but still exposed. I will check into this one.

Harmon

Message 4 of 11

The GFCI is already there. I was just planning to run CAT 6 to it and plug in an Access Point/POE. Is there a particular model Netgear makes to satisfy this? I see the other response above. 

Thanks

Harmon

Message 5 of 11

The POE + is the way to go as you both suggested. Thank you for your help. Single Cat 6 and no power supply or GFCI needed. Just need to figure out which one now I know this sort of beast exists. 

Harmon

Message 6 of 11

I bought the NetGear Wireless Outdoor Access Point (WAX610Y) per everyone's input. Will run a length of CAT 6 and fire it up once it arrives. 

Thanks!

Lynwood (Harmon) Hodge 

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

hope it works great!

Message 8 of 11

I ran CAT6 and cable checked out with tester. No lights on the NetGear WAX 610Y. The issue is with my NetGear GS116NA Switch. It does not support POE+. No where in the online manual is any indication of POE for this switch. Oh well. I am learning as I go. I will look for another NetGear Switch supporting POE+. 

The setup looks nice though. 

Harmon

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

POE switches are a bit spending. If thats your only POE device, a poe injector might be a better purchase. 

Message 10 of 11

I picked up an injector. It took a little bit on the NetGear side but it os working now. I picked up a 60W BV-Tech. I was looking for a NetGear Injector but did not see one. I will return the unopened 16 port POE switch to Amazon. $40 vs $200. Thank you for the information. I came close to sending the injector back but my current switch is less than six months old. 

Harmon

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements