Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 150mbps on wired connection, 50mbps on Wi-Fi

xecute
Aspirant

150mbps on wired connection, 50mbps on Wi-Fi

Last week I bought a "Netgear C3700 Wireless Router - Cable Modem" and it claims that it has 300mbps Wi-Fi speed.

That's partially true, when I connect to it through Wi-Fi, connection between my computer to router is 300mbps. But, when I test my internet speed on speedtest.net it just shows 50mbps.

When I test it through ethernet, speedtest.net shows 150mbps.

I'm testing the Wi-Fi only 5 feets away from the router. Also, I turned off WMM and the speed dropped to 20mbps, which is awkward.

Any thoughts? Is this router a hoax or there is an issue with it?

Message 1 of 4
netwrks
Master

WMM is required on the router for wireless clients.. Leave it enabled on the router. The router's capability and the wireless client's capability are two different things. Sounds like you are probably using a phone. Speedtest is hit and miss IMO. I see about the same on a phone with speedtest. Ensure your wireless client has the latest drivers. For 2.4ghz choose 1,6, or 11 as a channel. For 5ghz try using the higher channels. You probably have to try more than one channel to test, as not all channels are equal when it comes to finding the best channel for a wifi client. Nor does every wireless client respond the same to every router.

Also, check to see if there are any firmware updates for your router. If there is, after you install the update, ensure that you reset the router to factory default, then reconfigure. Also, change the router login password and the wifi passphrase from their defuault passwords.

Message 2 of 4
xecute
Aspirant

I'm testing it with my Macbook Pro 2015.

When I test it with ethernet I see 150mbps download but with Wi-Fi only 50mbps.

Network diagnostic tool says my connection to router is 300mbps, there is no problem. The problem is, router is not able to transfer my 150mbps internet through Wi-Fi.

Message 3 of 4
netwrks
Master

Did you turn WMM back on? Mac's need that feature the most..

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7