Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C6220 is my own netgear product but I can't update as the message says it is controlled by Comca

CWhite
Aspirant

C6220 is my own netgear product but I can't update as the message says it is controlled by Comcast X

C6220 is my own netgear product but I can't update it,as the message says it is controlled by Comcast Xfinity my internet provider. Why can't I update the firmwear?

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: C6220 is my own netgear product but I can't update as the message says it is controlled by Comca

Was DOCSIS specs and ISP policies that brought this about many years ago. 
So no you can't update FW on the C or CM series modems. CAX80 you can update the router portion of the gateway however the modem is and always will be controlled by the ISP. 

Message 2 of 11
CWhite
Aspirant

How do I update the router  portion then, as that was what I tried to do and it said Comcast controls it. Firmware Version is currently

V1.02.31. I found no updates on the website this time when I searched so I must be doing something wrong. What is this 78 aged lady supposed to do?
Thank you

C6220 model
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Can't be done on the C or CM series modems. 

You'll need to talk to the ISP and get them to update it. FYI, some ISPs won't update user owned modems. 

Are you having problems with your modem? If so, please post what your having problems with and maybe we can help you out here. Some problems can't be fixed by just updating FW. Some problems are a signal line issue that comes from the ISP service that we can take a look at and help you tell them about any problems seen here. 

Wifi can be helped some by making some moderate changes. Depends on your devices your connecting as well. 

Otherwise, the modem you have and it's FW is at the mercy of the ISP you have. We can't do anything about there here. 

We recommend sometimes that users avoid getting into a gateway modem and get a separate modem and separate wifi router. Let the ISP manage the modem, however the separate wifi router, you can control and do FW updates with, when and if needed. 

Message 4 of 11
CWhite
Aspirant

RE:C6220

The internet keeps disconnecting and reconnecting, my streaming service lists the stream as poor and buffers often.  None of this happened before hurricane Ian. I have rebooted the C6220 many times and moved it but it keeps happening. I have called Comcast and talked to them about it but they say it has nothing wrong in the area.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 

We'll need some more info.

Does this happen on both wireless and ethernet (wired) devices? 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page. You'll need to use a PC and web browser for this.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

You can copy and paste the information from these two web pages right into your next post here. 

Message 6 of 11
CWhite
Aspirant

CWhite_0-1675194126845.png

Re:C6220

Message 7 of 11
CWhite
Aspirant

CWhite_0-1675194292015.png

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

This is good. Now we need all the bottom portions of this page as well. Please scroll down in the web page to reveal the additional information. 

@CWhite wrote:

CWhite_0-1675194126845.png

Re:C6220

Message 9 of 11
CWhite
Aspirant

CWhite_0-1675196426113.png

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok,

The event logs show some Warnings and Criticals that the ISP needs to review and resolve in this log. We can't do anything here.

The power level are kinda low but in specs:

https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router

The ISP could help raise them some. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.

I see some Correct and Un-correctable values here which should be all reading Zeros. 

You may need to ask the ISP to help on this as well:

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
Some of this should help with betting the correctables and un-correctables down to zero. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7