Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6300 Modem/Router connection problems

sotey687
Aspirant

C6300 Modem/Router connection problems

Hi,

I've read numerous postings about connectivity problems with the C6300 modem/router.  I purchased one in August 2015 to replace the Motorola Surfboard unit provided by TWC.  I had no performance issues until early this week when our smart phones (3), laptops (3), desktop computer (1) and tablets (2) began to lose wi-fi signal intermittently at first and then almost permanently after a few days.  All but one of the computers runs Windows 10. All of the phones and one of the tablets run the Android OS.  One of the tablets (iPad mini) runs iOS.  No internet issues with the Windows 7 desktop unit hardwired into the C6300.  The OS doesn't seem to be a factor since the problem appeared at the same time for all devices. The modem/router firmware version is 2.01.14.  I tried switching between the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz frequencies without success.  While connected, I confirmed both radio buttons are on using the Netgear Genie.  In all cases, our wi-fi network still does not appear in the available network list. The In-range wi-fi networks immediately around my home appear to be visible on all the devices.  At this point, I've tried restoring the factory default settings and multiple reboots...no success.  If I'm lucky I can connect one of the wireless devices to my network for 2-5 minutes before losing the signal.  Has anyone else encountered this problem and/or discovered a fix?  I've wasted an entire day troubleshooting and need to get this problem resolved ASAP!!

Thanks,

sotey687

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 6
sotey687
Aspirant

Re: C6300 Modem/Router connection problems

My problem appears to be on the Router side of the unit.  I contacted TWC to ask about recent updates pushed through the system that might have affected my Modem/Router.  The modem tested fine.  I got the same results performing the ping test using Netgear Genie.  I was able to maintain the wireless signal for almost a day after reseting the unit to the factory defaults.  Today, I am experiencing the same wifi drop outs I encountered earlier this week.  

I doublechecked the wireless settings for 2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz.  Both boxes are checked. Under WPS settings, however, I inadvertently clicked the "Disable Gateway's PIN" button.  I unchecked the box but I believe the button below it, labeled "Keep Existing Wireless Settings", was checked but I don't have the ability to recheck the box (grayed out).  Does anyone have a suggestion on how to reactivate/recheck this button?  I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my wireless signal problem.  I just want to get the unit back to its original factory configuration. 

Thanks,

sotey687

Model: C6300BD-1CXNAS|Docsis 3.0 AC1750 Cable Modem Router
Message 2 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello sotey687

The WPS pin should not be causing issues with the wifi signal but have to tried to adjust wireless channels?  Have you tried changing the SSID name incase your devices are trying to use old wifi settings and it is causing a conflict?

DarrenM

Message 3 of 6
dsdaughtry
Initiate

An issue for the C6300 modem/router is that it fails to communicate properly with Spectrum/Time Warner Internet services. For example, when Internet services are offline the modem/router does not provide accurate light indicators of a potential disconnect. In fact, you must reboot the modem to display the correct modem/router lights. Spectrum/Time Warner technical support is aware of this. However, Netgear has not provided a software patch to rectify this issue.

The bottom line is that the Netgear C6300 should be a user-friendly device providing accurate information on its display rather than having to reboot to show an actual status. 

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 4 of 6
Lostindark
Aspirant

I have the same porblem like yours. Did you have the porblem fixed or not? The light for 2.4gz is solid, can't find the wifi and any magchines' list.

Message 5 of 6
Smith3993
Guide

I fought this problem for months and finally discovered that the problem for me was the PSP (Power Save Polling) feature of my Windows laptop, which is not supported by this router. In short, when the laptop's wifi adapter would "sleep" in power saving mode, it would basically block all connections to the router, and I would lose all connections (phones etc.) on the 2.5G channel that the laptop was using. To fix this, go to your Device Manager, click on Network Adapters, right click on wireless adapter (or ethernet adapter if wired), click properties, click Power Management, and UNselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Mine has worked flawlessly ever since doing this. Hope this helps.

Model: C6300BD-1CXNAS|Docsis 3.0 AC1750 Cable Modem Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7