Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7000v2, Windows 10

AZhermit
Tutor

C7000v2, Windows 10

How do you folks disconnect your USB NAS drive without corrupting data by just yanking out the USB connector?

I don't see any way on the Nighthawk app or the old Genie desktop app to safely disconnect the drive -- that works. There is a button in the Genie app : Advanced>USB storage> Basic that says, "Safeky Remove USB Device" but it doesn't work. It always returns a page that says, "The device cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later." But that NEVER changes.

Suggestions?

Windows 10 version 1900 aug update,

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try to make sure that there is no data being written to the SSD before powering off the modem or pulling the USB cable. Usually there isn't any data being written if your not actively using the SSD or putting files to the drive. There maybe some reads being done by the modem system, however these shouldn't impact any files if the power or the USB is pullied. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF the modem, disconnect, then power ON? 

Message 2 of 9
AZhermit
Tutor

Furry,  Good suggesstion. I get the logic that powering off the modem would deprive the NAS of any possible incoming data. My NAS (in this case an Samsung 860 EVO SSD) is only powered by  USB power. You think it would be wise to power the SATA connector with a separate power supply so that it remains powered until any possibility of incoming data stops (unplugging router)? I have one of those laying around somewhere.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Power OFF the modem, disconnect, then power ON? 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

No, I would not do that as it might cause problems, if the usb SSD is working otherwise on it's own and gets power thru the modem, there shouldn't be any need for any additional power. 

Message 4 of 9
AZhermit
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

No, I would not do that as it might cause problems, if the usb SSD is working otherwise on it's own and gets power thru the modem, there shouldn't be any need for any additional power. 

OK. I don't want to beat this into the ground, but... so then if data was being written to the SSD when I pull out the power supply from the modem (powered down) then I guess you are saying that would not result in any corruption of that data?

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try to make sure that there is no data being written to the SSD before powering off the modem or pulling the USB cable. Usually there isn't any data being written if your not actively using the SSD or putting files to the drive. There maybe some reads being done by the modem system, however these shouldn't impact any files if the power or the USB is pullied. 

Message 6 of 9
AZhermit
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I do have the ability to "deny access" to any of the 11 devices connected to my network in the discontinued Netgear Genie app .So, I'll do that  before powing down the modem. In the mean time I'm looking into SSDs with "Power Loss Protection". That looks like interesting tech.

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/support/faqs-03/   Scroll down 3/4 of the way. "What is the Power Loss Protection Feature..."

Thanks a lot for the input.I appreciate your time.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 9
AZhermit
Tutor

I thought I'd add this note for the benefit of the community.

I swapped out my Samsung 860 Evo SSD for a  Crucial MX500 1TB

because of its "Integrated Power Loss Imunity" feature.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7