Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX 80 Slow wifi speeds

trevorh123
Tutor

CAX 80 Slow wifi speeds

Hello,

I've seen numerous threads about the CAX 80 having slow speeds over wifi using Xfinity and it seems I'm having the same issues. 

I've been with Xfinity for almost a year now, and have been on their 1.2 gig plan but I still only get a download speed of ~400 mbps. I've had an Xfinity tech out several times and they have told me that I'll never be able to achieve a full gig over wifi and will only really get that through a hardwired connection. Is this true?

I've followed the online threads with diagnosing the problem but none seem to work. Router firmware is up to date, my wireless driver on my laptop is up to date, connections are secured. I also can not find, nor understand, any settings when logging onto the router online that could possibly help my situation.

I'm happy to provide more info, just let me know. I'm not tech savvy so bear with me. Thanks!

AX6000 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CAX80) 

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX 80 Slow wifi speeds

What is the brand and model# of the wifi adapter in the PC? 

Depending upon device design and support, most are 2x2 MIMO supporting. These usually top out at around 300-700Mbps depending on configuration, connection rate at between the device and distances from the CAX. These 2x2 mostly max out at 80Mhz channel width. 4x4 MIMO devices have a higher connection rate design and for some, can support 160Mhz channel with thus you can see connection rates 1733, 2400 and higher, again depending on there design and support. 

Max connection rate I've been able to get with my CAX80 on a 4x4 device is around 3200-3600Mpbs. Higher rates are harder to achieve due to environment, noise and distances. Most stable connection rate on 5Ghz AX is 2400Mpbs range. It decreases from there and one needs near perfect environement conditions to get anything near the reported 4800Mpbs which I've never seen on the CAX80 with another 4x4 device. 

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/realistic-speeds-wi-fi-5-and-wi-fi-6
https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 2 of 7
trevorh123
Tutor

Is this it?: 
Qualcomm QCA61x4A 802.11ac Wireless Adapter

I also just did another update through Dell and am getting the same results. 😕

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

That wireless card isn't going to hit gigabit speeds. the 400-500mbps that you're getting is about all it can get. 

Do you have a different wireless device to test with that supports wireless AX? 

That's the only thing that might get close to gigabit. 

Message 4 of 7
trevorh123
Tutor

I have an iPhone 13, and I'm getting just anywhere between 600-800mbps. 

At this point, I'm assuming it's the card installed in my laptop that is limiting my wifi speed?

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Your iphones speeds are about what you can expect too as its doesn't support 160hz wide channels. So its best link speed is 1200mbps. And actual throughput tends to be around 55-65% of link speed. So hitting that 600-800mbps is about what you'd expect. 

Your laptop card is your limiting factor on it. You might check as some laptops its fairly easy to upgrade the wireless card in them. I've done it to a couple and its not really that expensive if you diy it. 

Message 6 of 7
trevorh123
Tutor

Got it! I'll look into upgrading the wireless card and see where that takes me.

Thank you!

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7