Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX30S

LWunsch
Initiate

CAX30S

I bought this router a couple days ago.  I could not make the router accept my SSID and password that I had used with another NETGEAR Modem and router with which I had replaced with the new combined device CAX30s. I went through the simple installation process first of course and put in the old SSID and password in but after the process was completed the SSID I wanted  had not replaced the SIDD and password that came with the new device.  That was the beginning of several hours over a couple of days of trying the get the device to accept the old SIDD.  I didn’t want to change it because of all the other devices in my home that were tied to the old name and password.

I reviewed all kinds of documents on the sites of Xfinity (my. Cable company provider) and NETGEAR.  There were several different methods by which the documents said I should be able to change the SSID.  None worked and I repeated all then too many times. I came to the conclusion late last night that I would bring the new device back to BEST BUY were I bought it and get another model from NETGEAR or another competitor. In one of the processes that I used, however, a strange outcome kept repeating on several attempts.  The SIDD was shown as changed, but the password was always truncated.  I realized that it was truncated before one of the characters I used in the old system, the “$” sign.  It dawned on me that that was the problem.  I eliminated that character in a the password, and voila it worked.  So clearly the problem related to change in the ability to use that character.  For the sake of customers who might end up spending hours trying to solve their problem, if I were NETGEAR I would change the system to allow the character to be used like the others. As it is, the device is now working, but I did then have to go into all the other WiFi enabled devices system in my home to work and change the password with the new password without the “$” sign.  Had the character worked, it would have saved me many hours of frustration.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
LWunsch
Initiate

Re: CAX30S

I bought this router a couple days ago.  I could not make the router accept my SSID and password that I had used with another NETGEAR Modem and router with which I had replaced with the new combined device CAX30s. I went through the simple installation process first of course and put in the old SSID and password in the step for changing the SSID, but after the process was completed the SSID I wanted  had not replaced the SSID and password that came with the new device.  That was the beginning of several hours over a couple of days of trying the get the device to accept the old SIDD.  I didn’t want to change it because of all the other devices in my home that were tied to the old name and password.

I reviewed all kinds of documents on the sites of Xfinity (my. Cable company provider) and NETGEAR.  There were several different methods by which the documents said I should be able to change the SSID.  None worked and I repeated all then too many times. I came to the conclusion late last night that I would bring the new device back to BEST BUY were I bought it and get another model from NETGEAR or another competitor. In one of the processes that I used, however, a strange outcome kept repeating on several attempts.  The SIDD was shown as changed, but the password was always truncated.  I realized that it was truncated before one of the characters I used in the old system, the “$” sign.  It dawned on me that that was the problem.  I eliminated that character in a the password, and voila it worked.  So clearly the problem related to change in the ability to use that character.  For the sake of customers who might end up spending hours trying to solve their problem, if I were NETGEAR I would change the system to allow the character to be used like the others. As it is, the device is now working, but I did then have to go into all the other WiFi enabled devices system in my home to work and change the password with the new password without the “$” sign.  Had the character worked, it would have saved me many hours of frustration.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 2 of 3
LWunsch
Initiate

I bought this router a couple days ago.  I could not make the router accept my SSID and password that I had used with another NETGEAR Modem and router with which I had replaced with the new combined device CAX30s. I went through the simple installation process first of course and put in the old SSID and password in the step for changing the SSID, but after the process was completed the SSID I wanted  had not replaced the SSID and password that came with the new device.  That was the beginning of several hours over a couple of days of trying the get the device to accept the old SIDD.  I didn’t want to change it because of all the other devices in my home that were tied to the old name and password.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series