Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80 Nighthawk Losing Internet

Xano0174
Aspirant

CAX80 Nighthawk Losing Internet

Have had a CAX80 Nighthawk for around 2 years now. Have had no issues with it. Have xfinity as an ISP.

Randomly in the middle of the night everything disconnects. My immediate reaction is to check with xfinity. Showing no outage and I'm able to connect to fine to the public xfinity wifi from my phone.

I try power cycling my modem. When it boots it shows the 1-4 ethernet ports as red for about 5 seconds.

Afterwards all nights but the power light go off. The power light stays a solid white the entire time with no changes after sitting over 30 mins.

I saw some threads with similar issues. I tried unplugging the coax and resetting. Tried power cycling several times.

Unable to connect to the 192 number to check it out. It just sits there with a solid white power light and nothing else happening.

Did my modem just flatline on its own randomly? I tried submitting an RMA but every time I do it says there is an error processing and I should try again later.

Has anyone found a fix or the reason this happens? None of the threads had any solution.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX80 Nighthawk Losing Internet

Disconnect the coax line from the modem. Press the reset button for 10 seconds, see if the modem cycles thru the LEDS then should all go OFF accept for the power. Then plug back in the coax line to the modem. 

Can you access the modems web page any with a wired PC connected to port #4 and a web browser at 192.168.100.1? 

Message 2 of 10
Xano0174
Aspirant

I have attempted to reset the modem. When I disconnext the coax and hold the reset button, nothing happens. No lights flash or cycle and the power light remains solid.

I am unable to access 192.168.100.1 through port number 4 connected to a PC.
Message 3 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to access the modem with 192.168.0.1? also, are you able to access the router with 192.168.1.1?

Message 4 of 10
Xano0174
Aspirant

I am unable to connect to either of those. It just sits and never loads the page.
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Does the wired PC get a IP address from the modem when connected to one of the LAN ports in back? 

@Xano0174 wrote:
I am unable to connect to either of those. It just sits and never loads the page.

Message 6 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Our Support team would like to work with you on the issues you are seeing with your modem if you would like to work with us please PM the info below and our L2 support will contact you.

Name:

Email:

Phone:

Preferred Contact: Schedule: (Include Dates, Times, and Time Zone available to work with us)

S/N number:

DarrenM

Message 7 of 10
aerowsphere
Aspirant

Replace the coaxial cable that goes from your router/modem to the wall. The cables need to be replaced every 2-3 years. If it's starting to fail, that's probably why. Either that or the router itself is failing but replacing the cable is less expensive.

I'd recommend this one - these guys make the best quality coaxial cables: Amazon.com: 25ft Quad Shield Solid Copper 3GHZ RG-6 Coaxial Cable 75 Ohm (DIRECTV Satellite TV or Br...

-----------------

Another thing is - if it's powering on and then nothing else, you can do an NVRAM reset/factory reset on the device.

1. get a paper clip - press it into the reset hole on your router and keep it held in
  2. After 30 sec. disconnect the power from it while still keeping the paper clip pressed in > wait another 30 sec
  3. After the next 30 sec, plug the power back in > keep the paper clip in the reset hole pressed in > another another 30 sec
  4. After the 3rd round of 30 sec (total of 90 sec now), release the paper clip and let it power cycle

This is called an NVRAM reset - it does the factory reset as well but also clears out anything in NVRAM that might be freezing up the device.

If you've done that and replaced the coaxial cable, and there's still nothing, then you have a bricked router/modem. The only thing to do there is to contact Netgear if the device is under warranty or buy a new router/modem combo.

Message 8 of 10
Xano0174
Aspirant

No solution. What unable to access the IP address.

I ended up buying a new modem same model and it works fine. So it looks like the original one just straight up died.
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ne sure to reach out to the NG moderator.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7