Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1000 Compatibility with Wave Broadband in WA

nephilimreborn
Aspirant

CM1000 Compatibility with Wave Broadband in WA

I recently purchased the Netgear CM1000 for use with my 250Mbps service with Wave Broadband, however they cannot seem to activate it with their service at this time despite that the same unit is compatible with Docsis 3.0 as well as 3.1. I was trying to upgrade from my Arris SB6141. Anybody have any luck with it or can maybe a Netgear employee chime in and let me know when my ISP will have the firmware to push. Its kinda silly that my service connects to a $40 piece of equiptment, but not the "future-proof" $200 one.

Thanks all!

Model: CM1000|DOCSIS® 3.1
Message 1 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello nephilimreborn

Right now the modem is approved for comcast I would check with your ISP what modems they support.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 13
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

do you have event log from the modem? we can see what is possibly happening. 

as per Wave broadband, they dont seem to support lot of new retail modems.

https://faq.wavehome.com/hc/en-us/articles/227831667-Compatible-modems-and-WiFi-Routers

what is the issue Wave Broadband technician is reporting? 

Message 3 of 13
nephilimreborn
Aspirant

Is there a way I can collect an event log? I simply connected the modem and everything powered on, but when Wave tried to add the device they could not communicate with it and stated they did not have the firmware to be pushed to the device. I know their device list is limited, but they did say they work with alot of products, they just did not have the firmware to push to the device yet.

Thanks for your original reply.

Message 4 of 13
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

NETGEAR can provide FW to Wave broadband. Just PM me their engineers name/email addresses. 

Wave needs to be willing to push the FW though. 

however, this does not seem to be FW issue if the modem does not even come up on the network. 

NOTE: DOCSIS 3.1 REQUIRES MSO NETWORK TO BE DOCSIS 3.0 complaint (including US channel bonding). 

1. What FW version are you on?

2. Login to modem 192.168.100.1 and capture event logs and power levels.

https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-obtain-the-event-logs-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-modem-router

https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router

Message 5 of 13
nephilimreborn
Aspirant

I just PM'd you. They are willing to push it and have been notified that it will be coming.

I will gather the other info you requested when I get home later today.

Thank you very much

Message 6 of 13
jaaymondo
Aspirant

nephilimreborn has this been resolved?  I am buying a modem for new service being installed on Friday.  Considering the Netgear CM1000, Arris SB8200, or Motorola MB8600.  Just called Wave and they said they dont support any netgear modems.  

Message 7 of 13
nephilimreborn
Aspirant

Not at this time, although I haven't taken the time to call and follow up on the Firmware to see if it's been sent and received. I was told they had previously had issues with Netgear products, never outright told they aren't supported. While I am not Wave it would seem a little ridiculous to not support one of the most popular manufacturers of networking equipment entirely.
Message 8 of 13
nephilimreborn
Aspirant

Hate to break this to you, but DO NOT get the Netgear CM1000. Wave does not support Netgear products and they refuse to get the firmware and other info the Netgear techs are willing to provide. I ended up returning this product and picked up an Arris 6190. Not Docsis 3.1, but will still support a Gigabit connection when its available.

Message 9 of 13
jaaymondo
Aspirant

Ok thanks, very much appreciated. My CM1000 was delivered this morning but I'll return. This is very poor from Wave and there seems to be no rationale for their netgear policy.

FYI, the Arris 6190 (along with every other 32x8 cable modem) uses the intel puma 6 chipset. I understand there are some significant issues with this chipset, resulting in latency / connection issues and a class action lawsuit against arris. http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Arris-Sued-Over-SB6190-Surfboard-Modem-Latency-Flaw-139331

You may want to consider getting a 24x8 or a docsis 3.1 32x8 modem (the three I listed use a non puma chipset). Note that Wave also advise against a 3.1 in case there are issues getting it to drop down to 3.0...

Im now getting the Arris 6183 - at least I know it'll work with Wave
Message 10 of 13
mexfogel
Aspirant

UPDATE: It works with Wave on 8/24/2017 in the SF Bay Area.

Today I received my CM1000 and called wave broadband to get it working. I have a gigabit service. I gave the technician my MAC address for the new modem and that was it. He didn't ask about the modem's model make or anything, that was all. He pointed out that once he updates the new MAC address on their system he would not be able to see the new modem in their system for 24hrs to troubleshoot. He said to plug it in and call back if there were any problems... I had none. 

Im getting download speeds of 887.50Mbps and uploads speeds of 8Mbps which sounds about the same I was getting before.

Message 11 of 13
mexfogel
Aspirant

UPDATE2: From Wave in the SF Bay Area

I forgot to mention that when I asked Wave 1 month ago about purchasing my own modem they said there are none out there 100% compatible with their system, they said that the only requirement was DOCSIS 3.1 but still strongly suggested to keep using the one they provided and that buying your own would probably not work.

Well, the CM1000 does work.

Message 12 of 13
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

good news. 

not sure if they will upgrade the FW though. 

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7