Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1000 and xfinity gigabit

Gavinwatson1984
Aspirant

CM1000 and xfinity gigabit

I know this has been posted a couple times but it is not letting me interact with the previous posts. Has the issue with "very" slow xfinity speeds on the CM1000 modem been resolved yet? The comcast guy said he cant help me trouble shoot because I have my own modem. I am pretty much always getting 350mbs down and 40 mbs up. The most I've seen directly on the modem was around 400mbs. With the router and modem I have in my set up I should beable to get fast speed everywhere in my house. Right? Please help!
Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Disconnect the external router from the modem to isolate the issue. 

Be sure you don't have any coax cable line splitters in between the modem and ISP service box. 

Try testing with a different wired PC with the modem. Some older PCs can't handle speed testing near 900Mbps. You need a quad core PC to get good results. 

It's up to the ISP to ensure you have good signal and line quality up to the modem. 

Test with a wired PC directly connected to the modem. If you do experience same issues with this PC, try another modem out to see if same thing happens. IF it does, then ISP needs to send someone out and check the line up to the modem. If need be, get a modem from the ISP and let them prove to you that you can get near 900Mbps on your PC. If they can do that, then at some point try your own modem again. 

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

@Gavinwatson1984 wrote:
I know this has been posted a couple times but it is not letting me interact with the previous posts. Has the issue with "very" slow xfinity speeds on the CM1000 modem been resolved yet? The comcast guy said he cant help me trouble shoot because I have my own modem. I am pretty much always getting 350mbs down and 40 mbs up. The most I've seen directly on the modem was around 400mbs. With the router and modem I have in my set up I should beable to get fast speed everywhere in my house. Right? Please help!

Agree with @FURRYe38 is saying in regards to the modem. You should be able to get gigabit at the modem and hardwired into the router. In regards to your getting 350mbps.  You don't put how you're getting those speeds. Are they wired/wireless? Devices testing with? Website used for speedtesting?

If you're getting that over wireless, thats about what you can expect to get. Wireless isn't going to be able to hit gigabit speeds. The only real way to speedtest gigabit is over a hardwired connection with a computer that supports it. 

Another thing you say is you should be able to get fast speed everywhere in your house. How big is your house? Housing materials? These make a big difference as large houses usually need an additional access point. And if your house is made from concrete/brick/adobe/plaster lathe it can really interfere with wireless signals. 

Message 3 of 8
Gavinwatson1984
Aspirant

I have tried multiple computers/ laptops plugged directly into the modem with an ethernet cable. From browsing the forums It looks like multiple people have had this issue with xfinity and the CM1000. I have done my speed tests with https://speedtest.xfinity.com/
And
Speedtest.net by ookla.
I have a comcast tech coming out today to test the line. I do have 1 splitter between my modem and the comcast connection for a DVR. I will try pulling that the see if results change. Thank you guys for your responses.
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you pull the splitter and re-test? 

Message 5 of 8
Gavinwatson1984
Aspirant

I ended up having 3 comcast techs here for about 5 hours trouble shooting it. One replaced every connector and splitter but it did nothing so they tried one of their modems and it got the same speed. They then hooked the modem directly to the hub outside of my house and claimed it got 1 gig there. The next day a comcast contractor and I completely recabled my entire house including the underground from the hub. My speed increased to 450mbs and sometimes 500. All of that work proved that it is comcast and not the CM1000. I will pull the splitter tonight just to see if it increases.
Message 6 of 8
Gavinwatson1984
Aspirant

Just pulled the splitter and did not gain any speed. I think I will just save myself some money and downgrade to 250. I usually got around 300 when I have the 250 service. Bummer!
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If the modem works out at there ISP box and not inside, possible your test PC or device is not fully seeing or supporting of testing speeds at near 900Mbps. Some older PCs with dual core CPUs can't do this. Quad core or higher PC can. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7