Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1200 Ethernet Ports not responding

btremel
Aspirant

CM1200 Ethernet Ports not responding

I have a NetGear CM1200 which I installed in a non-profit that I support back in April (6 months ago).  

The network ports simply died yesterday, so I called in a support ticket.  I am well aware of the 90 day software/technical support and that there is a cost after the 90 days.   But what I was not aware of was that the 1 year hardware warrantee requires a $129 software support contract.   I was really upset, because I do not hold a credit card for this non-profit, and the cost of the support contract is nearly that of the modem.   

I'm 100% certain that this modem has a fault.  The network ports are dead.  I even did a factory reset and nothing works.  There really is nothing more that can be done to prove that this hardware has failed, but the technician would not help with the hardware replacement without me providing a card and paying the $129.

I've worked in IT for 30+ years and never have I had a problem trying to swap out a dead product that is still under warrantee.  I can't think of anything else that needs to be accomplished to prove that this modem is dead?

Before I toss this modem over the hill and walk away from NetGear products, I thought I would try the public help space first.   Maybe someone has also had this problem?  I don't know what else to test to get the ports to work.  They don't even light up, so it's not like I can connect to the modem and work some magic.
Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

The CM1200 has 4x ethernet ports. But for the vast majority of ISP's, only 1 device can be connected at a time. Reason why is most ISP's only assign 1 public ip address. so even though it has more ports, only 1 device can get that ip address. If there's a router and other devices connected to it, if that ip address gets assigned to a computer, the router won't function. 

So try this. 

disconnect the coax cable from the modem and all ethernet devices. While the modem is powered on, push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds. Let it run through a complete reset/reboot cycle. 

Then power it off and leave it off 2 minutes. 

then connect the coax back to it and power it on. 

Wait 2 minutes. 

Then connect lan port 1 to the wan port on the router. 

then power the router on. 

Try to setup the router. 

Didn't work? 

What does the event log show in the modem? 

Can you ping the modem? (192.168.100.1)

what are the led's on the ethernet ports showing? 

Message 2 of 4
btremel
Aspirant

Thanks for the guidence.   I tried all of the above and I also tried variations of booting this modem.   The ethernet ports are simply not accessable, nor do they ever light up.  I cannot pull down any event log if I cannot access any ports.   There's not much more that can be done, hence I'm 99% certain it's a hardware problem that is under warranty.  

With that, I moved forward with a leased modem from Comcast and I'll just toss this modem in the trashcan.  The lease from Comcast was cheaper than the annual support contract from NetGear that I need to pay to get my warranty.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try a different power supply. IF that fails, then modem maybe bad. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7