Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cable modem CM1100 assigns internal IP to router when either device is rebooted

gagandeep
Guide

Cable modem CM1100 assigns internal IP to router when either device is rebooted

Hi. I just purchased a cable modem CM1100 and have an issue - each time I reboot the modem (or router), the modem assigns 192.168.100.1 to router and not actual IP address from ISP, such that there is no internet to any device connected to router wirelessly or via LAN. I have to goto router settings, then perform "release" and "renew" to make internet available. The router I use is Nighthawk R7800 (Netgear product) with the following settings: LAN/ TCP IP setup: 192.168.0.2; Subnet 255.255.255.0; Use router as DHCP server checked off with IP assignment 192.168.0.10 to .240; 

Also at Internet setup page, - "Does your Internet connection require a login?" = No; Internet IP Address = Get Dynamically from ISP; Domain Name Server (DNS) Address = Get automatically from ISP; Router MAC Address = Use This MAC Address (<router MAC address>) instead of default setup "Use Default Address"

I have used the same settings while using ISP provided (Spectrum - Hitron) docsis 3.1 modem and with motorola MB8600 docsis 3.1 modem - there were no issues on reboot. Devices used to interact well! So why is Netgear CM1100 not assigning ISP IP address to router on reboot?

Help would be greatly appreciated

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Cable modem CM1100 assigns internal IP to router when either device is rebooted

Ok glad the IP address was resolved by the provisioning. 

A couple of ms difference isn't something to worry about, however your choice. If you get a modem for rent free, why not. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy.

@gagandeep wrote:

Thank you FURRYe38 for the answer! I did log a ticket with Netgear and got support as the product was new. I was asked to contact ISP for "mac re-provisioning". Once this was done, the issue was resolved. 

PS> Returned my CM1100 as the ping time/ latency was few ms higher than Spectrum provided modem. Here is what I found: Motorola MB8600 and CM1100 modems had 11-14ms ping; whereas Spectrum Hitron (possibly Puma chip) had 6-10ms ping and immediately throttled to top allowed speeds. Since ISP gave the modem free, I returned the ones I purchased!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
gagandeep
Guide

Re: Cable modem CM1100 assigns internal IP to router when either device is rebooted

sorry please read the Ip address line as "modem assigns 192.168.100.10"

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you factory reset both CM and R units and setup up from scratch. Usually takes about a minute or two for the WAN side ISP address to come thru possibly to the R router. To check this, wire connect a wired PC directly to port #1 on the CM modem. After it comes to ready, watch the networking status on your PC. It should change to the WAN IP address that your ISP gives out. 

Might contact your ISP and have them help you this this. Check the line quality up to the modem. Ensure the modems correctly associcated with there system. 

Message 3 of 5
gagandeep
Guide

Thank you FURRYe38 for the answer! I did log a ticket with Netgear and got support as the product was new. I was asked to contact ISP for "mac re-provisioning". Once this was done, the issue was resolved. 

PS> Returned my CM1100 as the ping time/ latency was few ms higher than Spectrum provided modem. Here is what I found: Motorola MB8600 and CM1100 modems had 11-14ms ping; whereas Spectrum Hitron (possibly Puma chip) had 6-10ms ping and immediately throttled to top allowed speeds. Since ISP gave the modem free, I returned the ones I purchased!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok glad the IP address was resolved by the provisioning. 

A couple of ms difference isn't something to worry about, however your choice. If you get a modem for rent free, why not. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy.

@gagandeep wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7