Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet connection drop while going from router to access point and vice-versa

gagandeep
Guide

Internet connection drop while going from router to access point and vice-versa

Hi. I have the following configuration at home:

• Internet= Spectrum - I use spectrum docsis 3.1 cable modem
  • Router = X4S R7800 (Mu-Mimo router) - IP address 192.168.0.2 with DHCP assignment 192.168.0.10 to 240
  • Access point = Cable modem router C7000-100NAS. I did study Netgear community forum on how to convert this cable modem router into access point only (static IP 192.168.0.5, subnet 255.255.255.0, DHCP is off)
  • Connection between R7800 and C7000: I use a shielded Cat 7 Cable going to another room where C7000 is placed. The Lan #2 port of R7000 connects to LAN #1 port of C7000. The C7000 does not have a WAN port.
  • Purpose of C7000 - to provide 2.4g signal to entire home including some security cameras, as this router is closest to the security cameras placed at far end of my garage. Also to provide 5g signal to the devices around it. Note: the 2.4g signal range is awesome from this device, it is the strongest signal I have EVER got from any router used in the past! Hence 2.4g from R7800 is turned off, no need!
  • Wifi channels used for C7000 as access point: 2.4g = channel 3 (least used channel around my home); 5g = channel 157. For main router R7800 : only 5G is used at 128 (DFS) channel.
  • R7800 has latest firmware; C7000 has firmware V1.01.32 as this was the most updated one by my ISP (spectrum). There is no way I can update this firmware. Both devices are very stable otherwise in performance.

Questions/ issues:

1. Can I decrease signal strength of 5G of C7000? There is no setting to decrease signal strength, but overall 5G speed can be decreased which means the router will use less channel width, but not decrease the amplitude or signal strength. Any recommendations. I need 5G from this router only in a small room, rest area in home is serviced via Mu-Mimo signals from R7800

2. This is my main issue! Whenever my Note 10 plus & iPhone XR (both have mu-mimo), 2 iPads (gen 6, non mu-mimo devices) go from area serviced by 5gHz signal from R7800, goto area serviced by 5Ghz from C7000 (non-mumimo router) the devices automatically choose the C7000 as it has stronger signal, but internet stops working. Same vice-versa. I have to either reboot the device or goto Wifi settings -> turn wifi off and then on again. Note that internal IP (192.168.0.x) does not change by doing so, but internet starts working! Same happens vice versa from area serviced by C7000 to area serviced by R7800. So how can I make sure I get internet while going from router to access point and vice versa? note, there is no issue with "handshaking", client device does seamless signal change from router/ AP to AP/ router, as case may be, but internet stops! Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DR650SE
Guide

Re: Internet connection drop while going from router to access point and vice-versa

That makes sense. As I dug a bit deeper and took a look at the logs, I noticed I was getting errors the referenced time being out of sync. Since this is being used as an access point and not hooked up to cable, there was no way to update the time. I'm assuming this error is causing the disconnects. So now I'm looking for a new router that has a proper AP mode. Once I pick on up, the C7000 will be for sale. As a modem/router, the C7000 was solid. As an AP, not so much. Thanks for the update!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
DR650SE
Guide

Re: Internet connection drop while going from router to access point and vice-versa

I'm hoping to find some resolution to this as well.  I too set up a C7000 as an AP two days ago and it's the same exact issue.  From my Galaxy S9+ I have to turn WiFi off and back on when the internet stops working.  Nothing changes, but it just stops.  It can't be going to sleep or anything becuase it happens while I'm using it.  Everything else works fine, but connectivity keeps dropping or hanging.  I'm using the C7000 to provide signal to the front of my house and bedroom.  My R7000P is my main router and it's in the basement and the back of my house so I had ro run cable (CAT6) two floors up through the wall to connect the two.

Message 2 of 6
gagandeep
Guide

I just read this post https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/All-WiFi-devices-randomly-lose-internet-but-...
Wonder if this is more of R7800 problem? If yes, I do not have Netgear warranty but have extra Square trade warranty. How should I proceed further?
Message 3 of 6
gagandeep
Guide

Hi DR650SE - I raised Netgear ticket under R7800 as it was new and I had complementary support. I blamed R7800 for the error. However, the customer support expert told me that converting C7000 to AP (or using it without cable) was not recommended and could be cause of the error. Thereafter, I removed C7000 and instead used an old R6900P as AP; there were no issues when a client device moved from R7800 coverage area to R6900P covered area and vice versa. As of now, I have removed R6900P. I am using Asus AX88U wifi-6 router as primary with R7800 as AP. No issues again. C7000 is up for sale!

Message 4 of 6
DR650SE
Guide

That makes sense. As I dug a bit deeper and took a look at the logs, I noticed I was getting errors the referenced time being out of sync. Since this is being used as an access point and not hooked up to cable, there was no way to update the time. I'm assuming this error is causing the disconnects. So now I'm looking for a new router that has a proper AP mode. Once I pick on up, the C7000 will be for sale. As a modem/router, the C7000 was solid. As an AP, not so much. Thanks for the update!
Message 5 of 6
gagandeep
Guide

Hi DR650SE. My ISP is spectrum and they provide Spectrum Hitron docsis 3.1 (possibly with puma chip) for free. The ping times were generally 6-10 ms while doing speed test and the internet throttled to top permissible speed instantaneously. I purchased my own latest and greatest Motorola MB8600 and Netgear CM1100 but I always got ping of 11-14 ms so returned those and stuck with free modem from my ISP! Also if you are looking for router, keep in mind most WiFi 6 routers do not fully support OFDMA uplink and are referred to as draft routers. I would advise you to do some research before investing in a router.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7