Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I use ONLY WIFI for this device? Spectrum Business Modem was installed today!

IT1Sparks
Aspirant

Can I use ONLY WIFI for this device? Spectrum Business Modem was installed today!

My company partnered with Spectrum Business to offer a special monthly  rate with faster service (200 MBPS). I was told that I had to use the Spectrum business modem (no monthly fee) and I assumed that I could use the WIFI functionality of the C6300. I'm currently working from home and hardwired into the Spectrum modem, but do not have any WIFI capability. Should I go buy a WIFI router or can I configure this one for only WIFI?  I'm new to this site, and limited on time to search the archives. Appreciate your insight! 

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can I use ONLY WIFI for this device? Spectrum Business Modem was installed today!

Try this, set the modem up for a static IP address(should be in same IP address pool as what your host router uses), disable the DHCP server on the modem. Set up the wifi SSID name and password. 

Connect the modem to the main host router using one of the modems open LAN ports.. 

Message 2 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] I had to use the Spectrum business modem [...]

An actual maker and model number would be interesting.

> [...] I assumed [...]

Always dangerous.

> [...] Should I go buy a WIFI router or can I configure this one for
> only WIFI? [...]

If your (unspecified) "the Spectrum business modem" is actually a
modem+router, and its own wireless stuff is unsatisfactory, then you
should be able to configure a C6300 as a wireless access point.  See,
for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1463500

Whether the performance would be satisfactory might best be
determined by experiment.

Message 3 of 5
IT1Sparks
Aspirant

Hello, answers to your comments. Thanks for the link, I'll try to set it up as a wireless access point. Otherwise, I'll purchase a router. 

An actual maker and model number would be interesting.

• Spectrum Model E31T2V1; DOCSIS 3.1

Always dangerous.

• Agree, rookie mistake! I had it written down to research it, but didn't get to it.

If your (unspecified) "the Spectrum business modem" is actually a modem+router, and its own wireless stuff is unsatisfactory, then you
should be able to configure a C6300 as a wireless access point.  See, for example: https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1463500

Whether the performance would be satisfactory might best be determined by experiment.

• The Spectrum modem is not a modem/router. 
Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 4 of 5
antinode
Guru

> o The Spectrum modem is not a modem/router.

Right.  The (Technicolor?) E31T2V1 is a modem.  You need a router to
use with it, and the C6300 can't be used that way because it has no
WAN/Internet Ethernet port.

> [...] I'll try to set it up as a wireless access point. [...]

With no router, that would let you use at most one client device.

> [...] Otherwise, I'll purchase a router.

You'll need one.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7