Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Comcast won't let me use my CM500V for voice

lwccoffice
Tutor

Comcast won't let me use my CM500V for voice

Greetings. I recently purchased a CM500V specifically due to the Netgear marketing information telling me that I could stop leasing Internet and voice modems from Comcast. Today, the Comcast agent I spoke with allowed me to activate the modem for Internet service but told me only the Arris modem we are currently leasing from them (model TM602G) or their new combined Internet+voice modem offering (don't know manufacturer or model but also leased) were allowed. What the heck?!?!? Help!

Thanks.

Model: CM500V|Cable Modem for Internet & Voice–DOCSIS 3.0
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

I would call back and talk to a different technician. I'm still showing it on my approved device list with telephone capability. 

Message 2 of 4
lwccoffice
Tutor

Thanks very much for your response. At this point, I have spoken with three agents (800-934-6489) and all have said the same thing. And, to be clear, they all said that no equipment but their own could be used for voice; not that just the CM500V was disallowed. !?!?! If anyone reading this actually has a customer-owned device registered and in user for voice, I'd surely like to know...
Model: CM500V|Cable Modem for Internet & Voice–DOCSIS 3.0
Message 3 of 4
lwccoffice
Tutor

More info: Another tech I just talked to said that there is a difference between Comcast residential (aka Xfinity) and Business. I have Business service. With Business, bring-your-own voice modems are not allowed.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7