Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting CM1200

HappilyEverWhee
Aspirant

Connecting CM1200

I purchased the Nighthawk CM1200 and the instructions say to connect the coax cable, however my internet comes in via Ethernet portal (AltaFiber/Cincinnati Bell Fioptics). Did I buy the wrong model? If not, what port do I plug the Ethernet into and what plug do I use for the mesh router? If wrong model, what do you recommend for multi gig modem?
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connecting CM1200

Yes. The CM series modems is for Cable ISPs. Wont work on Fiber ISPs.

You need a Wifi router system to connect to the ethernet wall jack or the Fiber ONT device that has a ethernet port on it. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. The CM series modems is for Cable ISPs. Wont work on Fiber ISPs.

You need a Wifi router system to connect to the ethernet wall jack or the Fiber ONT device that has a ethernet port on it. 

Message 2 of 5
HappilyEverWhee
Aspirant

Any recommendations for the right modem? I have a TPlink deco mesh system but am told I need a modem to connect. Everything I find online is for cable modems
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If your ISP uses Fiber services, then you'll need to contact them and ask about an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) unit for use with there services that you can connect your router system too. 

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 5
Kitsap
Master

@HappilyEverWhee wrote:
I purchased the Nighthawk CM1200 and the instructions say to connect the coax cable, however my internet comes in via Ethernet portal (AltaFiber/Cincinnati Bell Fioptics). Did I buy the wrong model? If not, what port do I plug the Ethernet into and what plug do I use for the mesh router? If wrong model, what do you recommend for multi gig modem?

A few seconds of web search shows you most likely have a combination ONT and Wi-Fi router device from your ISP.  Correct me if I am wrong.  You should not need any additional hardware to get both Wi-Fi and Ethernet connected internet available in your residence.

Support from your ISP would be the place to start.

See attached.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7