Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Fast LAN speed/slow WiFi speeds Netgear C3000

mirage8101
Follower

Fast LAN speed/slow WiFi speeds Netgear C3000

I am getting good speed with LAN cable with my Netgear C3000, but speed is half when I am using wifi.

I checked Firmware version. Its upto date.

Can some one let me know how to improve performance/speed when using wifi.

Model: C3000|N300 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 10
Jonoregon
Tutor

@mirage8101 wrote:

I am getting good speed with LAN cable with my Netgear C3000, but speed is half when I am using wifi.

I checked Firmware version. Its upto date.

Can some one let me know how to improve performance/speed when using wifi.

I'm having the same issue.  80 wired 14 wireless

Message 2 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you guys tried to change the wireless channel to see if you get a better wifi signal? other networks in the area or home appliances can affect the wifi signal.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 10
Jonoregon
Tutor

Channel 3 got me up to 25 Mbps.

This is with the wireless device about 5 feet from the C3000

I called into support and they had me change a few setting and nothing changed the performance.  Then they told me to call comcast and get them to downgrade the firmware.   Comcast says "they don't do that"

Message 4 of 10
CheckSix
Initiate

I have the exact same problem. Wired I get 180 mbps. Wireless I get 60 mbps. I tried changing channels as well and no joy. I too have Firmware V2.02.06.

I'm only 4 feet away from the modem/router. What's bizzare and that last night I was able to get 174 mbps and I was at least 15 feet away. WTH?

Comcast said that if I'm getting 180 mbps wired then there is nothing wrong with their service. As much as I hate Comcast, I have to agree. Something is screwed up with this brand new N300/C3000 Modem/Router. Could someone from Netgear chime in please and give us a solution?

Message 5 of 10
Jonoregon
Tutor

After about 4 months of using it, my wireless enabled TV in the other room started dropping netflix every 5 minutes or so.  Ended up having to run a cable because it was starting to really get annoying.  On a wired connection there aren't any issues.

FYI - we live in an apartment.  According to the comcast tech all the neighbor's signals may be causing issues.  Hopefully they will resolve when we move to a house.

Message 6 of 10
Anand369
Aspirant

I am also having the same issue. I upgraded to 75 MBPS speed with Comcast. When I am connected using wire it gives me 88 MBPS. But in Wifi it gives me only 10 MBPS. Comcast technician visited and said like there is no issue with internet as wired connection gets more than the promised speed. He said that we can try to add a router with 5 GHz chanel speed. Sometimes that can provide more speed. But am not sure what to do now. I came here looking for some help. Not sure if netgear support will provide any help as I am outside the 90 days period. Any help will be really appreciated. 

Message 7 of 10
Jonoregon
Tutor

@Anand369 wrote:

I am also having the same issue. I upgraded to 75 MBPS speed with Comcast. When I am connected using wire it gives me 88 MBPS. But in Wifi it gives me only 10 MBPS. Comcast technician visited and said like there is no issue with internet as wired connection gets more than the promised speed. He said that we can try to add a router with 5 GHz chanel speed. Sometimes that can provide more speed. But am not sure what to do now. I came here looking for some help. Not sure if netgear support will provide any help as I am outside the 90 days period. Any help will be really appreciated. 

Only improvement I got was changing the channels.  One channel, i think it was 3, got me 25 Mbps but that was tops.  Netgear wasn't any help via phone or chat support.  I even swapped the modem with Amazon only to get the same results.   Are you in an apartment?  Wonder if the interference is the problem.  My comcast tech also suggested a 5 GHz modem.  As it stands I ended up just going hard wired to the devices that need the full stream and wireless to everything else.

Message 8 of 10
Anand369
Aspirant

I live in a townhome. Eventhough I sit only 2 feet away from my modem (connected thru wifi), I still dont get good speeds. Let mme try to change the channel and see the speed. Thanks for your help!! 

Message 9 of 10
Anand369
Aspirant

I tried to change to different channels as others have suggested. Especially channel 3. But channel 3 did not work out for me. Speed were still more slower to 4 mbps in that channel. Then I found an option to view the list of channels being used by near by wifi connections. Found like channel 4 & 8 were not used that much. When I changed to those channels and tested, it went to 23 MBPS. So now I have chosen channel 8. Hope the speed gets retained. In case if any one finds any other solution, please let me know. Thanks

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7