Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Google Nest Wifi Router will no longer communicate with CM1000v2 Modem

NeenerIII
Aspirant

Google Nest Wifi Router will no longer communicate with CM1000v2 Modem

Everyone working from home, kids at, etc, upgraded my network to a Google Nest Mesh (one Nest router as the router, two Nest routers connected as access points).  My Modem is a CM1000v2 and I have Cox Communications.

All was well and stable until early this morning.  I am connected to the Nest Wifi but no internet.  I can connect directly to the Modem and I am ok.  So far:

1) Factory reset the Nest and called Google tech support.  I get to the step in Google Home where I scan the QR code, I am connected to the "Wifi" for setup purposes, and I hit next and always get "Connection Failed".  They point me to Cox (which I had already had them reset my modem)

2) Called Cox again, they say I should ask Netgear.  So here I am.

I am guessing that maybe it is some oddity with the Nest negotiating with the CM1000v2, but I cant think of anything that has changed.  

Any suggestions would be great

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Google Nest Wifi Router will no longer communicate with CM1000v2 Modem

Try powering OFF both CM modem and the wifi router for 1 minute then back ON. 

Ensure the cable between the modem and router is of good quality. CAT6 is recommended. 

If the router won't connect to the modem and your direct connected PC does, then this is a issue with the router, not the modem. 

Message 2 of 4
NeenerIII
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried the long reset over the phone with Google support, not luck. 

I do have some interesting info now.  I reconnected a Netgear router that I had used before the Nest.  It seemed to be in a similar situation.  No internet from the modem.  I set the Router to use my PCs MAC address and now I have internet from both WIFI and hard wired to the Router.

Not sure how to mimic this on the Nest.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact Google/NEST support about regarding there product.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7