Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home Network suggestions

arrrbee
Aspirant

Home Network suggestions

I need some pro advice on what to do with my home network.

I have Xfinity Blast! internet with 150 MBPS internet speeds. I originally bought a Netgear C3000 gateway device. The wireless internet speeds were terrible (20 MBPS). Netgear support said there was a lot of interference in my area (I live in a 2-bedroom apartment). They sent me a C3700. The internet speeds are still lousy and now they are offering me a refund.

What should I do if I want fast wireless speeds all over my apartment? Buy a more powerful router? Add a second router? Get a range extender? There are too many options and I don't know what's best.

Message 1 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Home Network suggestions

Just to be clear, is your speed issue just wireless or wired also, does a computer which has an Ethernet cable connection to the router have a poor Internet rate?

When you say that Netgear said there was a lot of interference in your area, did they mean that you have a lot of local WiFi networks operating nearby?

Personally I prefer to separate the cable modem from the router (two separate devices), though there’s really no need for that. I have the cable modem close to the incoming cable connection, and I have a number of wireless routers configured as Access Points in various places in the house to give full WiFi coverage, the router (wired only) is near the modem. I use flat Cat6 Ethernet cable which is easily run under skirting board or carpets (not where people will tread on it).

Message 2 of 4
arrrbee
Aspirant

The speed issue is wireless only. When I use a hardwired ethernet cable on my laptop, I get my full internet speeds.

Yes, they said there were a lot of networks in the area.

Honestly, I was a little bit surprised. Again, my apartment has only two bedrooms. I don't think I'm having unrealistic expectations by wanting the wifi signal to cover my whole place...

Any preference between a more powerful wifi router and multiple wifi routers around the house?

Message 3 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The answer really depends on layout and construction, e.g. brick / reinforced walls will attenuate signals significantly differently to plasterboard walls. Given your description I would suggest a router such as the R7000, simply because I have one and it covers both floors of my house completely (interior brick walls).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7