Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

If you have TWC they disable hard reset

Answerplease
Aspirant

If you have TWC they disable hard reset

After having horrendous problems for months, and not being able to reset my CMD31T modem ( I called TWC multiple times and had smoke blown up my backside), I was forced to buy an AC1750... 

Curiosity got me as to what went wrong after such a short period of time where the old modem would just "slowly" lose upstream channels etc. an not allow me to reset it. 

Then i found out by searching the twc community boards.. lo and behold, the community board expert admitted in a post that TIME WARNER DISABLES THE HARD RESET WHEN YOU ACTIVATE YOUR MODEM/ROUTER WITH THEM. 

Why the hell would Netgear allow this?  This sounds HIGHLY illegal

Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: If you have TWC they disable hard reset

Hello Answerplease 

All the cable companies receive the firmware from Netgear then they review and make any changes they feel necessary and then push it out to the customers.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25477

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
Stealth61
Aspirant

I have a Netgear Cable Modem CM600. 

I switched from TWC to WOW internet.

The WOW tech was unable to get my CM600 working because he stated TWC installed firmware on my CM600, which is IPV6.  He said WOW uses IPV4.  He attempted to use the factory reset button on the back of the modem and it wiped everything but the IPV6 off.  He was unable to get the modem working because he did not know how to remove/reset the firmware.

HOW DO YOU RESET THE FIRMWARE so I can use my cable modem with IPV4?

Thanks

Message 3 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Stealth61

You can not reset the firmware as it is pushed out by the ISP.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 9
Tsauder
Aspirant

I have the same problem.  You're telling me its impossible to switch internet providers without throwing away my brand new modem/router combo?

Message 5 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Tsauder

Are you saying you switched internet providers and your modem is not working? what modem do you have?

DarrenM

Message 6 of 9
Tsauder
Aspirant

I currently have Time Warner but tried to switch to WOW.  Just like the others above, the tech said WOW uses IPV4.  TW uses IPV6 and he wasn't able to use my equipment.  I have an N600 Modem/Router Model C3700.

Message 7 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You may want to contact our support if the modem is still under warranty they may be able to help with the issue.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

DarrenM

Message 8 of 9
Tsauder
Aspirant

Apparently this didn't apply to my model of router.  The next tech guy wasn't concerned, hit the factory reset, everything worked within minutes.  Thanks NetGear.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7