Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Invalid Data. Lan IP Address Overlapped! - N300 / C3000

mailmichael
Aspirant

Invalid Data. Lan IP Address Overlapped! - N300 / C3000

Hi,

I'm trying to do the very simple task of changing my router's network address, but I keep getting the error "Invalid Data. Lan IP Address Overlapped!". Overlapped with what? It won't tell me.

Any idea what is going on here?

Message 1 of 10
fordem
Mentor

Re: Invalid Data. Lan IP Address Overlapped! - N300 / C3000

Which address are you trying to change? What address does it have now and what are you trying to change it to? I'm guessing you're trying to change the router's WAN (or internet) address and you're trying to change it to a 192.168 address that overlaps the router's LAN ip range.
Message 2 of 10
mailmichael
Aspirant

> Which address are you trying to change?

The network address of the LAN which AFAIK is done by changing the router's IP address on the LAN in "LAN Setup" -> "LAN TCP/IP Setup" -> "IP Address". This automatically updates the DHCP starting and ending IP addresses to match.

> What address does it have now and what are you trying to change it to?

I'm trying to change The router's default IP address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1.

After I hit apply, I get the error.
Message 3 of 10
mailmichael
Aspirant

I've continued to research this and haven't found a solution. Is the product faulty? Should I return it?
Message 4 of 10
mailmichael
Aspirant

Ok. I think I figured out what is causing the problem but I can't figure out a solution.

From the beginning, I disabled the guest network and have no need to enable it. Finally, it dawned on me that the router might be setting that to the 192.168.1.0 network. I enabled it, connected and looked at the IP i received. There it was, a 192.168.1.x network address.

Is there a way to change the guest network to have a different network address?

Why does the router firmware even care if there is an overlap if the guest network is disabled?

Why doesn't it change the guest network to a different value if there is overlap, especially when it is safe to do so (it was never enabled, etc)?

Why isn't there a way to set the Guest Network address?
Message 5 of 10
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Here's an explanation from its FAQs.

Why could not I set my unit IP address to 192.168.1?
For C3000 the IP address 192.168.1.* to 192.168.7.* are reserved for guest network. For C3700 the IP address 192.168.1.* to 192.168.7.* and 192.168.21.* to 192.168.27.* are reserved for guest network.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24580/~/c3000%2Fc3700-faqs
Message 6 of 10
mailmichael
Aspirant

Thank you for pointing out the FAQ. It confirms my conclusion after many days of trying to figure it out.

Here are a few things that NetGear could have done that would have helped my search for an answer and save me several hours of troubleshooting:

1) Have the error message, "Invalid Data. Lan IP Address Overlapped!", in the FAQ question or answer, because that is what people will use in their search. Who would ever guess the error had something to do with the specific network address as opposed to a conflict between two different user settable options or the state of the router (e.g. clients connected, etc).

2) Better yet, have the error message tell you the exact problem: "Cannot set to 192.168.1.x, since it is reserved for the guest network."

3) Put the restriction in the manual, so people don't have to go to the support site in the first place.

Thanks!
Message 7 of 10
ogfomk
Aspirant

This was very helpful. I agree that the warning should state that the other addresses are reserved i.e. (192.168.1.* ~ 192.168.7.*) for the guest network. I also would like to have the ability to determine my own net addresses for the guest, but at least the clarification of message would do the trick.
Message 8 of 10
kgottry
Novice

All the wired servers on my home network are already configured on the 192.168.1.0 network. So what am I supposed to do? I don't want to have to buy another router just because your software has arbitrarily reserved some subnets for guest networks ... guest networks that I will never use.

Why isn't this limitation advertised on the box?

This makes the device unusable
Message 9 of 10
fordem
Mentor

It's only a limitation in your mind - you have TWO options - change the guest network, OR, and I think this is the better one - change the network schema you're using. Avoid using the following ranges - 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.10.1, 192.168.15.1 - those are the most commonly used ranges and when you start using VPNs sooner or later you'll discover that the network you're on conflicts with the one back home.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7