Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mediocre Upload Speeds - Contact ISP?

Iceisles
Aspirant

Mediocre Upload Speeds - Contact ISP?

Just looking for some general advice.  I have CM1000 on a 100/10 plan.  Downloads are perfect while uploads generally average 6mbps.  I've hit 7.5mbps upload speed a couple of times in a month's time but nothing higher.  My question is, at what point does one contact their ISP about upload speeds?  I know it's common for ISPs to regulate upload speeds and my upstream levels on the modem are within spec (I have a pretty decent knowledge of these).  Is 6-7mbps generally what I should realistically expect? 

On one hand, I'd like them to check the signal level and quality leading up to the modem.  On the other, I don't want to be a pest with service that most might deem acceptable.

I'm not having any issues yet, but Nest cams require a steady upload stream and I have four of them.  Thanks for your input!

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Mediocre Upload Speeds - Contact ISP?

you can take a screen snip of your modem connections page. This will give us an idea of your incoming line and outgoing line quality. Keep in mind its just a snap shot but it does help.

I also encourage people to remove any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators in their line. These can cause issues. 

If possible, move the modem to right where the coax enters the home. This helps prevent the lines within the home causing issues. 

If that's not possible, inspect the line for kinks, wear, water damage, poor/cheap connectors, loose connectors, etc. These can reduce speeds. and the upstream has less locked channels and doesn't use docsis 3.1 so is a little more sensitive. 

In terms of your nest cameras. If you're using nest aware, be aware they use a lot of data. If your plan has a data cap, you'll probably exceed that if you're using 4 cameras. 1 camera can use upwards of 300gb/month if on high resolution. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Mediocre Upload Speeds - Contact ISP?

you can take a screen snip of your modem connections page. This will give us an idea of your incoming line and outgoing line quality. Keep in mind its just a snap shot but it does help.

I also encourage people to remove any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators in their line. These can cause issues. 

If possible, move the modem to right where the coax enters the home. This helps prevent the lines within the home causing issues. 

If that's not possible, inspect the line for kinks, wear, water damage, poor/cheap connectors, loose connectors, etc. These can reduce speeds. and the upstream has less locked channels and doesn't use docsis 3.1 so is a little more sensitive. 

In terms of your nest cameras. If you're using nest aware, be aware they use a lot of data. If your plan has a data cap, you'll probably exceed that if you're using 4 cameras. 1 camera can use upwards of 300gb/month if on high resolution. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7