Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk CAX80 USB 3.0 Not Recognized

FlatheadLake
Guide

Nighthawk CAX80 USB 3.0 Not Recognized

Connecting my HP Windows 10 laptop to the Nighthawk CAX80 Modem/Router using a USB 3.0 high speed connecter, I am getting the error message Windows does not recognize the USB attached device.  This connection was working and has only recently had this problem.  Both the laptop and the Nighthawk are current with the latest updates.  

Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it.  I am only able to connect via wifi.  Thank you.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't connect a PC or laptop to the CAX modem using USB. Thats for external USB flash or in case USB drives. 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Cable modems (C and CM series) products:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

Clarification. 

Are you connecting to the CAX80's usb port and going usb<----->usb or is your adapter connected to the HP's usb port and is a usb--->ethernet adapter?

Message 3 of 11
FlatheadLake
Guide

Thank you for your quick response.  I feel a bit confused as I thought I had connected my HP Envy x360 directly to the Nighthawk CAX80 using a USB 3.0 A male to A male extension cabel in the past. but I guess not.  The HP Envy x360 (2018) has 3 USB A, 1 USB C and an  HDMI port, but no Ethernet port.  Perhaps an Ethernet to USB cable will work.  

I am trying to test my download speed directly wired to the router, not wifi.

Thank you again.

Message 4 of 11
FlatheadLake
Guide

Thank you for asking.  Yes, I am connecting directly from the HP Envy x360 USB 3.0 port to the Nighthawk CAX80 USB 3.0 port using a high speed USB 3.0 type A male to type A male extension cable.

Will a USB to Ethernet adapter work?  Thank you.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 is correct in that the usb port on the CAX won't do internet. 

So you'd need a usb--ethernet adapter to connect to the computer so you could connect it to the routers ethernet port. 

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes as @plemans suggested. Or you can connect the laptop wirelessly to the CAX80 if you have the Wifi running as well. 

@FlatheadLake wrote:

Will a USB to Ethernet adapter work?  Thank you.

Message 7 of 11
FlatheadLake
Guide

Thank you again.  I ordered a USB-RJ45 adapter this morning.  I want to test the download speeds when wired to the Nighthawk vs wi-fi.   Over wi-fi I am downloading at 148 mbps.  I am subscribed to a 1gb broadband plan and the cable company asked me to test the speed wired to the router.   Having now read up on the USB-RJ45 adapter given @plemans reply, I am looking forward to testing it out. 

And thanks  @plemans

The NetGear community forum is great.

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

did you order a usb 3.0 to ethernet adapter or usb 2.0? 

Also check to see if your laptop supports 3.0. 

Message 9 of 11

@FlatheadLake wrote:

Over wi-fi I am downloading at 148 mbps. 

That's about right for many wifi clients. Have you trued your HP Envy x360 on other sources and found that ti is a lot faster?

Your router may be a Formula-1 racetrack, but that doen'lt mean that you can ride along it at 200 mph on a bicycle.

Are you just hooked on numbers? Or is 148 Mbps too slow for things you are doing? (It is more than fast enough for most things that people do.) If so, you might want ti get something that lets your HP Laptop work faster.

Message 10 of 11
FlatheadLake
Guide

Hello. I was noticing a slowdown in the performance of my laptop and experiencing some dropouts with high resolution streaming via Roon.  So measuring my download speeds became  one of many attempts to get on top of what might be occurring.  My version of the HP Envy x360 is fairly maxed out and is rated to perform at 1 to 1.2 Gb downloads and my broadband service plan is 1 Gb. I executed all kinds of performance tuning recommendations and programs from HP and Microsoft for the laptop and Windows 10.  Afterward my wi-fi download speed was 148 mbps with all other devices that connect to the router turned off.  I directly connected the HP 360 to the Nighthawk CAX80 router utilizing the newly purchased USB-RJ45 adapter and my download speed was 253 mbps.  I considered this to be pretty weak, so I read up on the web and came across the article, "Amazing Tips On How To Improve Download Speed Windows 10."   I implemented these procedures and the wi-fi download speed hit 176 mbps and the ethernet download speed hit a whooping 879 mbps! Ha!  Needless to say I am very pleased.  

Amazing tips on how to improve download speed windows 10

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7