Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router blocking me from random websites

astronium
Tutor

Router blocking me from random websites

So about a week ago I was able to access websites such as spotify and League of legends client. I tried to access these servers tonight and wasnt able to get any response:

This site can’t be reached

accounts.spotify.com took too long to respond.

I have attempted to  do a power cycle reboot and had no luck. Tried flushing the DNS.. no luck. Here is the tracert for spotify:

Tracing route to weblb.gslb.spotify.com
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.
2 58 ms 46 ms 48 ms lo10.lns
141]
3 53 ms 61 ms 44 ms xe-0-2-0
.134.72.149]
4 177 ms 176 ms 181 ms xe-0-3-0
138]
5 190 ms 176 ms 190 ms xe-5-3-0
6 190 ms 185 ms 185 ms as2914.s
7 192 ms 192 ms 188 ms ae-2.r01
34]
8 170 ms 166 ms 183 ms ae-0.gyr
97.54]
9 * * * Request
10 * * * Request
11 * * * Request
12 * * * Request
13 172 ms 181 ms 175 ms sjc1-web

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Robert>tracert www.spotify.com

I have also contacted ISP asking for help.. but don't think they will be much use. The websites are blocked across all devices and have no clue what to do. I sometimes have a window of opportunity to access the site, but then refresh the page and cannot reach it again. Not sure if it could be something to do with a firewall? Tried looking for a firewall on the routerlogin.net but couldnt find the tab under security..

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
astronium
Tutor

Hey 🙂

I just solved it! I changed my MTU from being 1492 to 1400 and can now access all the sites! Thanks for your attempts at helping!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Although a few hops (i.e. 9 - 12) failed to respond (this is not unusual; many routers in the Internet are programmed to ignore tracert requests), that tracert actually succeeded.  This means that you have connectivity to that destination.  

You may have to run tracert several times in order to determine if the connectivity is intermittent.  You can use a tool like WinMTR to do this automatically.  You will get much more detailed and statistically reliable results instead of one or two manual tracerts.

You didn't provide the model of your router.  Unless you enabled the 'block sites' or 'keyword blocking' feature on your router, the router's firewall is generally open in the outgoing direction.

Message 2 of 6
astronium
Tutor

http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/modem-routers/D6400.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

This is the router model. D6400 Modem Router.

The tracert may have succeeded, but I am unable to cnnect to the website. The app on my phone doesnt work, wont connect to the server along with my computer. This is the same for the League of Legends client.

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

While not definitive, a successful tracert is a pretty strong indication that your router is not the source of this issue.

Did you verify that block sites or keyword blocking is not enabled on your router?

Do you have any kind of parental controls enabled?
Message 4 of 6
astronium
Tutor

Hey 🙂

I just solved it! I changed my MTU from being 1492 to 1400 and can now access all the sites! Thanks for your attempts at helping!

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Good job.  Now you may want to tune the MTU to the optimal setting.  Read this.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7