Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to activate WPS

Angel_Guzman
Tutor

Unable to activate WPS

Manually pressing the WPS does nothing as the manual states "The WPS LED blinks during this process and then lights solid."

So I went and typed the IP address and logged into the router via a computer, unfortunately I am unable to enter the "WPS Wizard" as it is grayed out, however I can open the link in a new tab by right clicking it, once I have the tab open it brings me to the screen shot I have included, the "Next" button grays out the moment i place my cursor on it and i am unable to advance forward.

What do I do? 

Message 1 of 14
Angel_Guzman
Tutor

Re: Unable to activate WPS

The reason i am stuck trying to use the WPS function is due to a Linksys re7000 series product prompting me to activate the WPS so it may connect

Message 2 of 14

@Angel_Guzman wrote:

Manually pressing the WPS does nothing as the manual states "The WPS LED blinks during this process and then lights solid."

You mean the WPS LED/Button does not flash?

Then the usual boilerplate questions to eliminate some of the more common issues that crop up here.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". There may be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware with an app or in the browser interface.

If there is one it might also help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that connects this router to the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

@Angel_Guzman wrote:

The reason i am stuck trying to use the WPS function is due to a Linksys re7000 series product prompting me to activate the WPS so it may connect

You can setup the RE7000 with a browser. Sometimes that works better. Page 9 of their manual goes over that method. Tends to work well

https://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/RE7000_UG_International_20160906.pdf

Also, you didn't put what router you're trying to connect it to. Tough to help in that case. 

Message 4 of 14
Angel_Guzman
Tutor

Thank you for responding to my post.

Yeah i tried following the setup process using the browser but for some odd reason when i am asked to input a password so the extender may connect to my router wifi, the linksys extender fails to connect and tells me its the wrong password but ive already verified its the correct password. I can opt in for the wired connection from router to extender but i would not be able to connect my desktop to the internet wirelessly

Router is a cax30 ax6

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the CAX30? 

What security method (for wifi) are you using on the CAX30? WPA2, WPA3, or mixed mode WPA2/WPA3

Message 6 of 14
Angel_Guzman
Tutor

WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode

Message 7 of 14
Angel_Guzman
Tutor

I'll have to get back to you on the firmware version as im not home at this point in time

Message 8 of 14
Angel_Guzman
Tutor

Reply to: MichaelKenward

yeah its got a set of 4 LAN ports on the back its a cable modem/router combination.

Its the CAX30 Netgear night hawk AX6 AX2700

I'll provide the current firmware version as soon as i get home in a couple hours

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

Some devices have issues with mixed mode. 

so try this. 

1. make sure the CAX30 is on the latest firmware. You can get it here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/cax30

The currently latest for it is 2.2.1.12

2. Check the firmware on the RE7000. there's 2 versions of it. Ensure you're on the latest for your version. 

You can find it here: https://www.linksys.com/support-article?articleNum=48139

3. if upgrading firmware on both devices doesn't help, switch the CAX30 security to wpa2. Maybe the RE7000 has issues with mixed mode. 

Message 10 of 14
Angel_Guzman
Tutor

The Modem/Router version is listed as: "Firmware Version V1.4.12.2"

and I see a new one listed as: "V2.2.1.12"

Not sure why the Router itself cant automatically install the update nor does it even know there's a new update(Using the Check for a new update button)

I am a little skeptical about downloading it as I've had some pretty bad experience with this brand & model of router and returned about 3 of same type of model. (once its been updated it kind of bricks itself)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Gateways/NOTICE-My-Nighthawk-CAX30-Cable-Modem-Router-...

That link is about the V2 update and I'm pretty sure its been pulled off the "download updates for my router website"

So I'm pretty sure I'll be okay with updating

I'll attempt the update during the night when the WiFi is not in use

Message 11 of 14
Angel_Guzman
Tutor

The Linksys RE7000 is already up to date with version 2.0.15.

I still installed/uploaded the update to see if there are any changes

Unfortunately Trying to setup this Range extender using the browser does not seem to be working, and i may have to wait for the WPS function to hopefully start working after I issue the update to the CAX30 Modem/Router

I've entered my router password into the range extender so many times I am beginning to doubt myself to the point of wondering if i even wipe my ass properly. 

I know I am entering it correctly as I've removed my phone and Laptop from the network and re-entered the password through their own network settings.

Seeing how horribly the path this range extender is on and its effect on my self-esteem I'll likely just run a cable from the router to the Desktop computer 

Message 12 of 14

@Angel_Guzman wrote:

Seeing how horribly the path this range extender is on and its effect on my self-esteem I'll likely just run a cable from the router to the Desktop computer 

Considered this?

Powerline Ethernet

Message 13 of 14
plemans
Guru

They normally do auto-update. But there was a version of firmeware that created a lot of issues with the CAX line. Not sure which version it was because it was pulled both from the update server and the manual server. I did test the newer 2.0 version and it seemed fine. I'd try installing that and then trying to install the extender. 

If it doesn't work, then I'd try wpa2 mode. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series