Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WAN accessibility cut-out at 18:01 MT every night

lsfinn99
Aspirant

WAN accessibility cut-out at 18:01 MT every night

• An ISP (xfinity) service tech checked and confirmed the signal and line quality UP to the modem is in spec.
  • An ISP service tech re-provisioned the modem.
  • Per the ISP service tech there are no line splitters, amps, or attenuators between the modem and ISP service box.
  • Two different ISP service techs separately replaced the RG6 coax cable up to the modem.
  • The cable is in-wall; so, there is no way to check for kinks, damage, or moisture in the line (other than checking signal levels).
  • The ISP service techs checked the connector ends.
  • I have disconnected the modem from the power for over 1 minute and powered back on with no change in the symptomology.

Let me note again three salient aspects of this failure:

* The cut-off occurs regularly at a very specific time (18:01 MT) each PM. Over the last several days I've confirmed that the AM cut-off occurs regularly at 6:00 MT (i.e., no mail from icloud or my business server is received after 6:00 AM MT); and

* The cut-out is only partial: the xfinity web site is accessible, and generally (but not always) google is accessible. Sometimes a few other web sites (e.g., local community newspaper) remain accessible; however, almost all others - including biggies (nytimes.com, washingtonpost.com) - time-out; 

* Prior to my changing DNS servers I was unable to recover WAN connectivity, with or without a modem reboot, until morning (generally between 8:00 - 9:00) when a modem reboot would recover WAN connectivity. After changing DNS servers I am generally able to recover connectivity after a modem reboot.

While appreciated, generic suggestions that do not recognize or acknowledge the particular details of the failure I'm experiencing - especially those highlighted above - are unlikely to be helpful.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

What NG product model are you referring too? 

@lsfinn99 wrote:
  • An ISP (xfinity) service tech checked and confirmed the signal and line quality UP to the modem is in spec.
  • An ISP service tech re-provisioned the modem.
  • Per the ISP service tech there are no line splitters, amps, or attenuators between the modem and ISP service box.
  • Two different ISP service techs separately replaced the RG6 coax cable up to the modem.
  • The cable is in-wall; so, there is no way to check for kinks, damage, or moisture in the line (other than checking signal levels).
  • The ISP service techs checked the connector ends.
  • I have disconnected the modem from the power for over 1 minute and powered back on with no change in the symptomology.

Let me note again three salient aspects of this failure:

* The cut-off occurs regularly at a very specific time (18:01 MT) each PM. Over the last several days I've confirmed that the AM cut-off occurs regularly at 6:00 MT (i.e., no mail from icloud or my business server is received after 6:00 AM MT); and

* The cut-out is only partial: the xfinity web site is accessible, and generally (but not always) google is accessible. Sometimes a few other web sites (e.g., local community newspaper) remain accessible; however, almost all others - including biggies (nytimes.com, washingtonpost.com) - time-out; 

* Prior to my changing DNS servers I was unable to recover WAN connectivity, with or without a modem reboot, until morning (generally between 8:00 - 9:00) when a modem reboot would recover WAN connectivity. After changing DNS servers I am generally able to recover connectivity after a modem reboot.

While appreciated, generic suggestions that do not recognize or acknowledge the particular details of the failure I'm experiencing - especially those highlighted above - are unlikely to be helpful.

Message 2 of 6
lsfinn99
Aspirant

The product is the CAX80 cable modem router.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 6
lsfinn99
Aspirant

Equipment: Netgear CAX80 modem/router. Hardware version 1.01, Firmware version V2.1.5.2; Cable Firmware Version V1.02.08. The modem is provisioned by Comcast/xFinity. 

Attached PDF is built from screen grabs of cable connection info (first 7 pages) followed by event log (last 4 pages)

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Power looks good.

I see lots of correctables on the one Up channel. Wondering if this should be zeros here. 

Any Criticals, Errors or Warnings seen in the event logs needs to be reviewed and resolved by the ISP. Indicates a signal issue on the ISP line up to the modem. Especially T3s. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html
https://highspeed.tips/docsis-events/

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7