Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xfinity -- I bought the DOCSIS® 3.1 Cable Modem (CM1000)

Torub16
Follower

Xfinity -- I bought the DOCSIS® 3.1 Cable Modem (CM1000)

I'm frustrated too, I bought the DOCSIS® 3.1 Cable Modem (CM1000)  in 2019 for $200 and it's still selling for the same price at 2022 and advertises as compatible with xfinity comcast internet service. YET if I follow the email from xfinity to devices it says that the CM1000 is not supported.  I went to the downloads section and it says that I cannot download any updated filmware and that it is managed by my ISP.  Under the devices section theDOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem (CM2000)  is supported (but for how long??) and it's $300.  I'm not a big fan of throwing out my $200 device and buying a $300 upgrade, which isn't even a upgrade because I don't need it because I pay for the gig service.  This looks terrible for both netgear and comcast going along wit planned obolescence.  I took screenshots of everything, say hello to YouTube!

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Xfinity -- I bought the DOCSIS® 3.1 Cable Modem (CM1000)

Comcast is the one who sets the compatibility. 

But I can confirm it still works and works fine. I have one and recently hooked it up for some testing. The reason we're seeing them say it doesn't is they upgraded many customers to the 1.2 gig service. 

The CM1000 only has 1 gig ports so according to comcast, it isn't compatible with the service since it can't hit the 1.2 gig speeds. But it still works fine. You just only get 1 gig service and not the 1.2 they upgraded people to. 

So basically ignore it. Your modem still works fine. Comcast is just great at trying to push people to upgrade 

Message 2 of 3
Kitsap
Master

Re: Xfinity -- I bought the DOCSIS® 3.1 Cable Modem (CM1000)

Comcast is playing fast and loose with the definition of compatible.  The only reason your modem went from compatible to non-compatible is because Comcast changed the boundaries.  Your CM1000 still works fine and will connect to the Comcast network. 

Previously your pay tier had max 1 Gbps throughput and your modem has a 1 Gbps output port.  Comcast increased the pay tier maximum to 1.2 Gbps and your output port hardware stayed at 1 Gbps.  If the owners of modems with 1 Gbps output ports are frightened into renting modems from Comcast, Comcast thinks that is OK

Another piece of this story, most end users have local area networks with piece parts that have 1 Gbps ports.  Plus, very few of their activities would saturate a 1 Gbps connection.

Comcast makes the list, they have the option to stop supporting modems that do not support their full service throughput.  That could very well mean no firmware updates. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7