Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

c3700 connection issue

carl321
Star

Re: c3700 connection issue

Netgear used to be a great company now its ruined mainly by their tech support. So I was on the 99th day I decided to email them regarding my slow speed issue (on wired i get 101Mbps and wifi 5Ghz i get 11Mbps and 2.4Ghz I get 2.2Mbps). 

They sent me a reply saying that support is not available to me since its over the 90day period and need to contact them for any basic issues (email was a template and no one bothered to read the email request i sent them. So I called their support team, the agent said that im over the 90day period and I only get free support via chat and email. :S

Here I am sitting duck with a $150 router. I have scanned for channels that my neighbours are on and set my channel to a unique one. I have no cordless phones or any other interfering devices (except for the microwave in the kitchen)

Can someone tell me if there is a fix. Also if i need a replacement unit from netgear the agent sent me a seperate email with some ridiculous prices ($30 upwards for a replacement unit)

Also according to Comcast they do not push any updates for these modems as they are not managed by comcast. Supervisor at Comcast said that we need to get the firmware from netgear and upload it manually. Apperantly Netgear is saying the opposite. God knows whats going on.. Can we all report this issue to the FCC. They are pretty serious about slow speed issues these days. 

Message 26 of 47
carl321
Star

This what the comcast agent said on chat:

Andrew: With regards to your netgear owned router, We have no firmwares for it , We only do support firmwares for comcast modems and if there is an update for the firmwares our devices auto update

Andrew: So I best suggest you contact netgear with regards to your firmware.

THIS IS BRILLIANT BALL PASSING FROM THESE 2 COMPANIES

Message 27 of 47
Polarlaw06
Initiate

Seriously. Can Netgear not see a pattern here? We're being told to contact Comcast for a firmware update, only to be told by Comcast that they don't push firmware down except for their settings. Come on!

I finally decided to scrap my Netgear modem/router and went with a Motorola. You know what? Bam. Problem solved.

So, thank you Netgear for giving me the runaround. You just lost another customer.
Message 28 of 47
wil12ken
Aspirant

Thanks for sharing that the new Modem solved your problem.   I may join you shortly and like you it will NOT be a Netgear device.

Message 29 of 47
Merv23
Aspirant

Thank you very much for sharing.  I am having the exact same issue with my C3700 and Comcast has been no help after talking to multiple reps and having two useless technichans come out that didn't even bother troubleshooting the lines.  My speed slowed down greatly after Comcast sent through what they said was an increase in speed they are providing at no additional charge.  But the opposite happened.  Guessing this is when the firmware was changed.

I started troubleshooting the modem myself and stumbled upon the difference in the firmware version Netgear lists vs what I have, V2.02.06.  After reading all the posts, it makes sense now that this is the problem.  I can't believe that we are held hostage with what one company says it should be and the other pushes to the modem.  There should be a way for us to download the proper firmware for the modem.

Glad to hear the issue is not happening with Motorola modems. This is likely to be my next step and will never ever by anything Netgear again.

Message 30 of 47
carl321
Star

I know we can report to the FCC regarding slow speed issues. But is there anyway to take these modem/gateways manufacturers like Netgear to the FCC? At least get them investigated for their lack of support? 

Also does anyone know how much I have to pay netgear to get support if I am over the 90 day period?

Message 31 of 47
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello carl321

Here is the page that shows all of the support options and costs.

gearhead.netgear.com

also we are investigating the issues with the speeds and connection issues but to clear up the issue with the Firmware. Netgear/Netgear support agents cannot manually update the FW on C3000/C3700 or any other Cable Modem router since there is no option to manually update the FW on any of our cable modems.

The FW update process follows the following procedure: Once Netgear develops a new FW for a cable modem  that FW is sent to ISPs(MSOs) for certification regardless if the device is retail or not. Once the ISPs (MSOs) receive the FW they test it and it goes through their certification process. Once the FW passes the certification process and is certified the FW updates are pushed down to the users for ISPs that support this such as Comcast and TWC. NETGEAR has no control over how or when the actual FW updates are pushed to the Cable Modem Routers it is up to the ISP to determine if and when they want to push and implement the new firmware. 

DarrenM

Message 32 of 47
glenn123
Aspirant

I'm pretty confident that my issues have nothing to do with Comcast, as my wired computer is always OK.  And I can usually get my wireless computers to get temporarily back online by switching them from the 2.4GHz SSID to the 5GHz SSID (or vice-versa).  As a former Network Engineer, my professional opinion is that I'm a victim of bugs in the Netgear wireless router.  Which is why I'd LOVE to get the firmware in my Netgear device updated.  I note that, now, the webpage at http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25477/~/current-firmware-version-for-netgear-cable-mod... says that the current Comcast firmware version is 2.02.06 (which is what I'm running), whereas a couple of weeks ago, it said the current Comcast firmware version should be 2.02.26.  I'm just hoping that there really will be a new, fixed version of the firmware for Comcast to distribute, soon!!

Message 33 of 47
wil12ken
Aspirant

UPDATE:  My router has been stable for 3 weeks.  No resets.  I looked for comfirmation but I couldn't find for sure but I am almost positive that when I posted my problem on this thread my router firmware was v 1.01.11 and it is currently v2.02.06.  The kb article was updated on 9/15/15 showing the v2.02.06 for comcast.  http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25477/~/current-firmware-version-for-netgear-cable-mod...

I did have an issue with my cable in general about 10 days ago but I never lost Internet Connectivity.  Actually, my internet connection was the only thing working.  Comcast did come out and had to replace my DVR box.   They also changed some connections as precaution and said that my signal was fine but a bit on the low side.  They didn't expect that to create any problems but were going to boost at the street as a precaution.   Tough to ignore this but I never lost internet connectivity or had any internet issues during this time so I don't feel this had any impact my historical interent connectivity issue.  I could be completely wrong but logic doesn't support that...

However, I do see others stating they are having the problem with the v2.02.06 firmware so it might be a combination of issues.   My connectivity was horrible and was resetting daily, sometimes twice a day.  It's has been stable and strong for weeks.   Knock on wood....

Message 34 of 47
Rexmonaco
Aspirant

I called Netgear to try and fix the 5g connection issue. I'm on Charter and I do not have cable, just internet. They wanted to charge me $129.00 to fix a $120 modem that is still under warranty. They want to claim it's a configuration issue.

I'd already read here and elsewhere the bad reviews of the products performance. It's clearly a product issue. When I explained to India that I can buy another brand modem for less money and be done with it, he then said I could pay $39 for 30 minutes.

Is this a scam? What are you not understanding? It's your product that is the problem. Not my configuration of it.

I'm done with Netgear products. I don't like piss poor customer support.

Message 35 of 47
ten-lee
Aspirant

i have the same issue. i just bought the modem about two wks and now the wifi no woking at at. tried to reset a few times but it still no work. i think about return the product back. 

Message 36 of 47
carl321
Star

PROBLEM SOLVED !

As you may have seen ive been having alot of issues with this device. The solution is DONT BUY this device if you are with COMCAST !. Here is why:

1. Slow speeds on wifi were due to an out dated firware version on the device according to NETGEAR (Tier 3 agent at the HQ in California) 

2. After a FCC complaint that I filed; someone from Corp office at COMCAST called me. HE checked with his senior engineers and said that COMCAST does not have the latest firmware for the netgear device. He accepted that the firmware is completely handled (updated) by COMCAST and not NETGEAR (for the first time)

3. So basically dont use this device on COMCAST and if you want to but your own device in the future please check the compatible device which have been tested and passed with a 3 star rating at COMCAST website. link : http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net

Make:  Netgear
Model:  C3700-100NAS (Retail)
Retail:  Yes
Device Type:  Gateway
DOCSIS Version:  3.0
End of Life?  No
Certification:  

certification should have 3 stars according to COMCAST for that device to have the latest firmware on it !

If you look carefully on this list Netgear device is not properly tested at COMCAST and they will not be doing anything in the near future. However Motorola / ARRIS devices are fuly supported by COMCAST (becasuse they own 10-15% of ARRIS 😄

Sadly ARRIS devices arent the best and their wifi signal strength is absurb compared to some other providers. 

---------

I bought a Airport express router for $85 on amazon and this has fixed all my wifi issues. (thank you Apple)

Basically im using a $150 device as just a dumb modem 😞

Only if I knew about this corporate mumbo jumbo earlier. God Bless America !

Message 37 of 47
aguddall
Aspirant

Looks like I'm going to have to ditch my 6 month old Neatgear modum too and purchase a new one! No wifi signal - started off just intermittent and now gone. Was on the phone with MediaCom and they report that my connection is good. Contacted Netgear and after 30 minutes on the phone with them, they basically said they could easily fix my problem, for $130 contract! No thank you! I spent $130 on the modem 6 months ago and it should work without me paying more $$! I'll just buy a new modum - any brand except Netgear! I too, was advised that Netgear is a great product, so spent more on this modum than many others at the store - live and learn! 

Message 38 of 47
alvaradoha
Aspirant

I too have had issues with the c3700 and have mediacom as my ISP. I have great connectivity but my router keeps reverting to bridge mode and wont go into router mode. I called support and they are no help. I will never buy a netgear device again.

Message 39 of 47
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello alvardoha

Have you tried to factory reset and then try to change it to router mode.

DarrenM

Message 40 of 47
calgecko
Aspirant

Glad to see I'm not the only one having problems with the C3700 and Comcast.. it sucks that it's such a problem and Netgear can't step up and make it right.  I've only had this device for about 2 or 3 months now, so I'm sure I can't return it to where I bought it.  I'm tired of unreliable and dropped signals, especially since I have several cameras set up in my house on my wifi network.  I appreciate the insight about the 1 star versus 3 star rating system.. looks like I need to go do some more research and find a replacement for this piece of junk.

Message 41 of 47
Glaize
Aspirant

I'm having horrible problems too with the c3700. It is a huge racket to extort money from their customers. I have no way to update the firmware, doesn't give that option in the router settings like the help page says. Customer support says it's not a hardware issue, and they an fix it but since I just passed my 90 days I have to pay them. They won't replace the modem until I pay them to TRY to fix it over the phone first. My isp (which is wow) came out and looked at everything and it's clearly a a modem issue. I can't connect on wifi or wired. I went to a coffee shop and downloaded the supposed "fix" and all it does is reboot the router. Phone support told me there was a free chat (lie) or I could find the walk through (which des nothing to help my problem). Only two options are to give them money for a product I ALREADY PAID FOR!!!!!
Message 42 of 47
nudibrink
Aspirant

I have the same connectivity issues. they started after the very 3 month support period expired.

Support is no help at all, unless of course you pay even more for them to help with their terrible product. They directed me to this forum.

Worthless.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 43 of 47
Boyce85
Aspirant

I'm having same issue, really frustrating. Customer support wants to charge you more than the router costs and says they can fix it! No thanks, I'll buy a new one and it wont be NETGEAR!!!! Worst customer service and clearly this is an issue since so many of us have the same problem.
Message 44 of 47
Boyce85
Aspirant

Message 45 of 47
Jdcrow
Aspirant

I had similar issues, my 2.4g internet and direct lines work, but it seems to only be a 5g issue. 

I looked everywhere and couldn't find a fix, so I decided to try it myself. 

I cleared all event and access logs on the device, then I use a WiFi analyser to find a better channel and changed the channel to a more clear one. 

I then rebooted and now on my tablet and cell phone the 5g works great again. On my wife's inam still having minor issues. Hope this helps some of you.

Message 46 of 47
Easy-Rider
Aspirant

Re: c3700 connection issue: Readyshare USB Printer

Tech Support is USELESS! They ran me around, in circles, for 4 days, with no solution.

Does ANYBODY know how to set up a USB printer, with ReadyShare?

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 47 of 47
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7