Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: netgear c3700-100nas question

corvairbob
Tutor

netgear c3700-100nas question

i have this modem/router i will call it a router, the netgear 3700-100nas unit. anyway i now have it connected to cable and i'm looking at switching to fibre, will this router work with frontier's fiber system? i know it will not connect to the fibre but for my area for fibre they provide the Amazon eero Pro 6 router and that router has 2 lan ports they look the same as my c3700 router. i believe frontier installs a box of sorts either on the outside of the house or in the garage or a utility room and that is the fibre gear and from there it converts to the lan system. 

so if that is true then i wonder if most if not all lan ported routers would work. my router may not have the signal strength but now i have the netgear boxes for that so when i'm outside i connect to one of them. plus my house is lan wired for my cameras and those extenders are wired back to the server and then to the router. it works good for me. so if i do not have to switch that sure would be great.  can anyone tell me if my router will work? if not i have a few other routers i can hook up but then have to reset my system to them i just as soon keep it as it is now. thanks

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Go back to your first message. You said:

i have this modem/router i will call it a router, the netgear 3700-100nas unit. anyway i now have it connected to cable and i'm looking at switching to fibre, will this router work with frontier's fiber system?

The immediate answer is no. The C3700 can connect to cable networks.

As explained earlier, "fibre" is meaningless. There is fibre in every Internet service. (There are also wires.)

How does the Internet get to you?

You also said:

i believe frontier installs a box of sorts either on the outside of the house or in the garage or a utility room and that is the fibre gear and from there it converts to the lan system.

That is usually a sign that they are delivering the Internet over fibre optic system that delivers to your front door. The output is the LAN port.

You can then plug that into a router. This means that your C3700 will be useless.

Then you said:

they provide the Amazon eero Pro 6 router and that router has 2 lan ports t

So, the output into the LAN system from the box the outside of the house feeds into the eero router.

Where did this bit suddenly come from?

tell me how do you get fibre on that Amazon eero 6 Wi-Fi router it does not have any fibre connections only phone connections. 

If the eero 6 Wi-Fi router has only phone connections, it isn't a router.

i just talked to frontier and they told me they do not have fibre in my area

Does this mean that you have to abandon the idea of "looking at switching to fibre"?

This is all getting very confusing.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

C and CM series modems only work with Cable ISP services. 

Fiber ISP services require different hardware. Be sure to ask the Fiber ISP about this. Fiber is only particular to Fiber ISP services. Fiber is not seen on Cable ISP networks. 

Message 2 of 9

The C3700 is 10 years old. It has ancient wifi technology.

The wifi from the eero Pro 6 will be a lot more capable.

When the new system is up and running, work out what you can do to meet your needs.

With a house wired for LAN, you can plug things into it wherever you like to extend the wifi. If you need more LAN ports, a simple switch is inexpensive and can come in various sizes.

Message 3 of 9
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks i just checked and i have 2 routers that are newer than the c3700-100nas unit 1 is the linksys ac1900 mu-mimo 1.9 gbps and the other one is a netgear nighthawk ac1900 router modem unit. now they may be old tech as well. also i did double check and i do have that magic jack plugged into the server so i should be good to go with the Amazon eero Pro 6 router they provide and as stated because i have lan all over and hubs in different corners of the house and the garages if i were to need extended range i can plug another Amazon eero Pro 6 router into one of them. i'm banking on this router to allow me into the settings and be able to set my system port forwarding on it. thanks a bunch guys.

Message 4 of 9

@corvairbob wrote:

unit 1 is the linksys ac1900 mu-mimo 1.9 gbps and the other one is a netgear nighthawk ac1900 router modem unit.

The "netgear nighthawk ac1900 router modem" could be one of many things. That's not a model number. If it is another cable modem, then you hit the same brick wall as the C3700.

If the linksys is just a router, you could use that with the new device. If it is another modem/router, same problem.

because i have lan all over and hubs in different corners of the house and the garages if i were to need extended range i can plug another Amazon eero Pro 6 router into one of them.

Sounds like a good strategy.

Message 5 of 9
corvairbob
Tutor

tell me how do you get fibre on that Amazon eero 6 Wi-Fi router it does not have any fibre connections only phone connections.  i just talked to frontier and they told me they do not have fibre in my area so all the folks i have talked to must have dsl and i found a YT that claims dsl only can get to 500kbps  and that fibre only gets to 1gbps now i have no real proof but that is what that YT claims. but i did learn that when you have fibre internet they drop a fibre line into your home and convert it there. so if and when they start hooking up fibre to my area i may hook up.  one thing is, they did run fibre down past my house back in 2020. i saw them do it and i asked them what line they were running and they said fibre line. and they left coils at the end of each section of run and a year later they came out and terminated that line. i got a chunk and it was fibre. thanks for the help so far.

Message 6 of 9

Go back to your first message. You said:

i have this modem/router i will call it a router, the netgear 3700-100nas unit. anyway i now have it connected to cable and i'm looking at switching to fibre, will this router work with frontier's fiber system?

The immediate answer is no. The C3700 can connect to cable networks.

As explained earlier, "fibre" is meaningless. There is fibre in every Internet service. (There are also wires.)

How does the Internet get to you?

You also said:

i believe frontier installs a box of sorts either on the outside of the house or in the garage or a utility room and that is the fibre gear and from there it converts to the lan system.

That is usually a sign that they are delivering the Internet over fibre optic system that delivers to your front door. The output is the LAN port.

You can then plug that into a router. This means that your C3700 will be useless.

Then you said:

they provide the Amazon eero Pro 6 router and that router has 2 lan ports t

So, the output into the LAN system from the box the outside of the house feeds into the eero router.

Where did this bit suddenly come from?

tell me how do you get fibre on that Amazon eero 6 Wi-Fi router it does not have any fibre connections only phone connections. 

If the eero 6 Wi-Fi router has only phone connections, it isn't a router.

i just talked to frontier and they told me they do not have fibre in my area

Does this mean that you have to abandon the idea of "looking at switching to fibre"?

This is all getting very confusing.

Message 7 of 9
corvairbob
Tutor

i have figured it all out

Message 8 of 9

@corvairbob wrote:

i have figured it all out

Care to share your findings for the benefit of other people with the same issues?

One of the pleasures, and benefits, of this place is that we learn from each other.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series