Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

password reset loop

multiZ
Star

password reset loop

Hi

I've read several threads on this cax80 password reset loop problem, and no one has offered a solution. Looks like Netgear tech support rarely read these pages.

I've seen messages dated dec 2022; yet it is 2024 and I can't find the answer.

I've tried

1) rebooting/full reset (a number of times)

2) configuring using nighhawk app

3) Use ethernet cable to login & get stuck in the loop

4) I can't get to the login page after I reset the password. I keep getting a 401 unauthorized message.

This is an expensive router...it'll be the last one I buy from Netgear.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
multiZ
Star

Re: password reset loop

Thank you. I was able to log in.

I ended up doing a factory reset and then setting up the admin password.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I can log into the router the next time.

I had to reset a number of times.

I tried logging into the router without the coxial cable hooked in but that didn't work for me. I prefer setting up my router while being disconnected from the internet.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

There is a ISP coax cable connected to the back of the CAX80 and this cable does have a active good working signal on the line right? Reason for asking is that if the signal on the ling is bad, no signal at all or the coax cable is NOT connected to the modem, the CAX80 auto reboots on it's own until a good working signal is on the line. 

With a good working signal on the coax line, try a 30-30-30 reset on them modem with nothing else connected to the modem. After the last 30 second reset is processed, give a minute then connect up a wired PC to the LAN port and see if you can access 192.168.1.1 in a web browser. 

Message 2 of 5
multiZ
Star

Thank you. I was able to log in.

I ended up doing a factory reset and then setting up the admin password.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I can log into the router the next time.

I had to reset a number of times.

I tried logging into the router without the coxial cable hooked in but that didn't work for me. I prefer setting up my router while being disconnected from the internet.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 5
CHart24
Aspirant

I too was stuck in the Password Reset Loop (192.168.1.1).  When I tried to reset the password, it would never go back to any login screen.  All I could do was reset the PW again.  The solution:

• Download the Nighthawk App for your phone.
  • Setup a Netgear user account
  • Go thru the App setup process
  • When you get to the Router login, use the default settings:  
    • User: admin & PW: password 
    • NOTE: If you tried to reset the pw while in this reset loop, you actually did, even though it never acknowledged it.  If so, then use your new "reset" pw instead.
  • Now you can access your router thru the App
  • Once I was able to login thru the app, I went back to 192.168.1.1 on my PC and the login screen actually comes up.  
  • You should be able to login from both your PC and the App going forward.

I've never posted anything like this before.  This was so frustrating to me, I had to let others know.  I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series