Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: slow wifi speeds with c7000 and xfinity

Sakur
Aspirant

slow wifi speeds with c7000 and xfinity

My internet speed through my computer (ethernet) is 350.  Using wifi on my cellphone on 2.4, the speed is only around 70.  This occurs when phone is next to modem/router or 20 feet away.  Changing to 5G, I get 150. I get even lower results with my Firestick. I tried changing the channels but did not exceed these values.  Netgear support said that 5G should get 80 or more percent of the ethernet speed and 2.4 should get 50 percent.  I am getting approximately 20% and 59% respectively.

*  Is there something I can do with the modem/router to correct this?

*  Is this something Xfinity can fix?

*  If not, should I purchase a separte router and connect it to the C7000?  Will that increase the speed?  If so, do I just plug it into the C7000 and run both wifi networks or are there some adjustments I need to make to the C7000.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Varioious wifi mobile devices may not support high speed wireless speed testing. Most wifi devices max out at around 400-500Mpbs depending on what the device really supports. You'll need to contact the devices Mfr to see what actual thruput speeds they support on there device. 

Message 2 of 13
plemans
Guru

Along with what @FURRYe38 said, much is dependant on your phone and its capabilities. If you think about it, most phones use a 1x1 antenna. Some have 2x2 but the average phone is more likely to be a 1x1 configuration.

The C7000 in 2.4ghz can do 200mbps over a 1x1 antenna arrangement with 256-qam if your device has that capabilites. Many devices don't as its a non-standard extension to wireless-n. If your devices is a 64-qam device its going to connect at 150mbps over 2.4ghz (probably). Which if your getting 70mbps is pretty much optimal. Frankly, thats pretty good. I've got way to many 2.4ghz networks in my area and struggle to get past 30-40mbps for any stretch of time. 

Your 5ghz potentially could be optimized a bit but again, a lot depends on the device and your setup. 5ghz doesn't have as much penetration capabilities and can't transmit as far. 

There's much more info on this here: https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Is there a reason you want faster speeds on a phone? Most 4k streaming maxes out at 40mbps and its usually the phone that's the bottleneck on tasks when you get past a certain download/upload speed. Even netflix only needs a 25mbps for ultra HD. 

Message 3 of 13
Sakur
Aspirant

Actually, I am not concerned about the phone connection speed, only using that as a quick test where I can easily move it around. My concern is my FireStick which is in the next room and getting less than the phone. My expectation is that with blast speed over 350, I am only getting about 40 on the FireStick. With a VPN, I get less than 20.
Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

1. vpn's are going to slow the speeds because of how they operate. 

2.  What firestick do you have? 1st gen firestick was fairly worthless and struggled.

3. How far away is the firestick from the router and how many walls in between the router and firestick?

4. What is the materials of your houses internal structure?

Another thing to keep in mind is that hvac and foil lined insulation do great jobs of blocking wifi signals. Sometimes a small move to the side helps open up that line of sight.  

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Media streaming devices are not ment for high speed testing performances. I believe they are tuned for what bandwidth they need to fully operate and able to stream based on video data bandwidth needed for 1080P or 4K. Depending upon the video resolution content. As long as the device is getting connected to the 5ghz radio, bandwidth should not be a problem. 

Message 7 of 13
Sakur
Aspirant

Yes, I understand vpn will reduce by about 50%. The FireStick is the latest 4K.
The unit is on room away, about 30 feet. One wall between. The reason I used my iPhone 10 as a test was to determine the max speed I could attain when next to the modem/ router. Only being around 70 max is the problem. Either I have a damaged radios in the c7000 or xfinity was able to do something to the modem/router to lower the WiFi speeds.
Message 8 of 13
Sakur
Aspirant

I would be ok with the 5g, but it isn’t,t reaching the FireStick so I need to use 2.4. On my firestick, the 5g speed is less than the 2.4.
Message 9 of 13
plemans
Guru

If you're only going 30 ft with a wall in between and the 5ghz isn't reaching, I'd be looking at that wall. 5ghz penetrates much less materials than 2.4ghz but 30 ft is within the distance that 5ghz should cover. Certain materials like plaster lathe, adobe, tile with the metal underlayment can all block wifi signals.

How are the speeds when the wall isn't there? 

If its just the single device/room causing issues it tends to be either the device or the room thats creating interference. 

do you pull full speeds if you're hardwired to the C7000?

Message 10 of 13
Sakur
Aspirant

I pull full speed when connected wit wire. Between 350 and 400. That is why I questioned using my phone within 1ft of the modem/router and getting only 79 on 2.4 and 159 on 5g. Main problem appears to be at the source
Message 11 of 13
plemans
Guru

have you tried any other wifi devices?  A single wireless device isn't conclusive and many things influence wifi speeds. Thats why we base most of our diagnostics off hardwired speeds. To many things that can cause issues over wifi. 

Also try backing up, 1 ft is a little close. 

Tried changing wifi channels? 

What channel are you currently on for 5ghz?

What speeds do you have set for your 5ghz wifi?

Again, your 2.4ghz speeds are expected. I wouldn't expect to get much better than what you are for 2.4ghz. 

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure that Beamforming and WMM is enabled on the modem as well. 

Here what the modem supports:

AC1900 (600 Mbps @2.4GHz with 256 QAM
support +1300 Mbps @5Ghz 11ac)
• Simultaneous Dual Band WiFi—Tx/Rx 3x3
(2.4GHz) + 3x3 (5GHz)
• Beamforming+—For more reliable connections
on 2.4 and 5GHz bands

Possible you may either need to add a extender, like a EX7000/7700 or the radios on the modem are not good enough possibly. You can configure the modem for modem mode only and then connect up a new wifi router. Maybe a Orbi MESH system. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7