Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router- Red Blinking Power Light

C7000 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router- Red Blinking Power Light

Noticed Alexa wasn't connected to the internet and checked the Router to find a blinking red power light. First, I unplugged the power for about a minute but it continued when I plugged it back in. The I tried the same with the coaxial cable connection. I also verified that the connection to the wall is secure. Tried hitting the reset button the back but router just continues to have the blinking red power light, no other lights are displaying. No wireless networks are available. Checked with comcast there was no outages, cable has been working fine. Comcast can see there is an issue with the modem but it is unable to connect to it to hep troubleshoot. 

I'm out of ideas and worry that this is a blinking red light of death. Had a similar issue with my netgear modem/ router combo two years ago. This always seems to happen a month after the "premium support" expires. 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: C7000 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router- Red Blinking Power Light

But its within warranty which is good. Usually the symptom you're having is hardware failure or firmware failure and with the C7000, the user isnt able to replace the firmware. Let us know how it goes!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Many people just hit the reset button. it needs to be pushed and held. Try disconnecting the coax again, while its powered on, push and hold rest until the lights change. its usually 7-10 seconds. 

If this causes the ligths to change, give it time to fully boot up. Then reconnect the coax. 

If this didn't work, you can possibly try a 30/30/30 reset. What that is is to hold the reset for 30 seconds with it powered up, while still holding reset, power it down for 30 seconds, then while still holding reset power it back on for 30 seconds. Then give it a couple minutes to see if it boots up all the way. 

Are any of the other led's doing anything? 

With a router we'd be able to walk you through a tftp recovery but it doesn't work for combo devices.

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

Message 3 of 11

@plemans wrote:

With a router we'd be able to walk you through a tftp recovery but it doesn't work for combo devices.

Not sure that that is totally correct. People have been known to get into modem/routers with TFTP.

Then again, I can't confirm that for cable modems. They aren't the same as DSL devices.

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@plemans wrote:

Not sure that that is totally correct. People have been known to get into modem/routers with TFTP.

Then again, I can't confirm that for cable modems. They aren't the same as DSL devices.

Cable modems don't have that option as the ISP's are the one's that push the firmware. Not the end user unfortunately. Maybe that'll change in the future though. 

Message 5 of 11

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried both of the suggested reset processes but to no avail. While the power is plugged in the blinking red power light never turns off as I would expect from a reset. No other LED's light up. Tried also plugging directly in with ethernet but nothing was recognized. 

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

You put that your "premium support" ended. Is it still within warranty? Different area's have different length warranties based on region. 

Message 7 of 11

After registering it looks like the hardware is the only thing still in the warranty period. I'll have to call tomorrow and see if they can help me out. 

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

But its within warranty which is good. Usually the symptom you're having is hardware failure or firmware failure and with the C7000, the user isnt able to replace the firmware. Let us know how it goes!

Message 9 of 11

@plemans wrote:

Usually the symptom you're having is hardware failure or firmware failure and with the C7000, the user isnt able to replace the firmware.

It certainly sounds like hardware failure to me.

Message 10 of 11

Called support and they issued a replacement device. Thanks for all of the help! 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7