Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80 – Issues with Downstream

cmerc
Tutor

CAX80 – Issues with Downstream

Hi,

I recently purchased a CAX80 from Netgear (Oct 2021). It's been great. I bought it due to some research and customer reviews on several consumer retail sites. Over the last 3-4 weeks, our internet has slowed. I noticed that the downstream light blinks, occassionaly it will turn solid, but not for long. I'm getting about 30-40 download (was getting 400-500) and 25 upload speeds (similar). I work from home and probably have to reboot the router once or twice a day. It gets me through the day, but isn't sustainable. 

I don't think it's the hardware. I've taken some screen shots to share with you all. Anyone else have this issue? Is this due to an issue with my ISP? Should I have them come out and check wires? I'm in a condo complex. I've been using the same provider since June 2020. We've had a couple storms over the last 3 weeks.

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 10.59.41 AM.png02-Frequency-Start.png03-Downstream.png04-Downstream.png05-Downstream.png06-Upstream.png09-Event-Logs.png

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: CAX80 – Issues with Downstream

Yeah they'll need to check the line

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Your power levels are way out of spec, you have a ton of errors, and your logs show it. 

Check your line for kinks, damage, old/bad/cheap/loose/corroded connectors and replace them if you do. 

Remove any splitters, amplifiers, or signal attenutors from your line. 

preferably, move the modem to right where the coax comes into the home and direct connect it. 

If that doesn't help (you can repost the pics after changes/checks made) then the isp will need to check the line. 

Message 2 of 7
cmerc
Tutor

I have the device plugged in right where the coax comes in. I'm in a condo complex and the cable comes in from the closet ceiling, so probably not direct from outside. I may need to have the ISP tech come out to figure out all of the wiring. Thanks for the suggestions.

Message 3 of 7
cmerc
Tutor

Here's an update. I plugged in my previous modem (MB7621) and received similar numbers — the power is far too low. I'm having my ISP tech come out tomorrow morning to help troubleshoot this. My assumption is this is an issue with the cable that comes into the house. I've am told I'm provisioned at 500mbps, which is what I'm paying for. Currently getting about 30-35mbps. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 4.29.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-09 at 4.29.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-09 at 4.29.54 PM.png

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

Yeah they'll need to check the line

Message 5 of 7
cmerc
Tutor

Yup! All set. CAX80 is running smoothly – back up to 490-500 speeds. Squirrel got to some of the cables outside and water got in, distupting the service. Thanks again for the quick responses. 

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

glad it fixed it!

if you mark it solved, it might help the next person

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation