Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 Modem Locks on Only Half the Channels

Miketune
Aspirant

CM1000 Modem Locks on Only Half the Channels

My 2-week old CM1000 modem (Comcast) self-installed as advertised - no call to Comcast.  Quite a pleasant surprise for me. 

I noticed, however, it is locked on only 16 channels down and 4 up, half of what the modem is supposed to do.   I have Blast 200 and it downloads about 230 Mbps, 12 up.  No complaints.

Anyone know why it's locking on only half the available channels?  After all, it is DOCSIS 3.1. rated at 32 down and 8 up.   I found no settings on the Genie. 

Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Re: CM1000 Modem Locks on Only Half the Channels

It's possible that the cable plant you are connected to only supports 16 channels.  There is a super long thread on dslreports.com where people are self-reporting the number of channels in their area (link).

Message 2 of 4
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

how many channels supported are in control of Comcast CMTS and RF plant configuration. Cable modem just bonds what it was provided. Most likely, your area CMTS has only 16 channels enabled. Comcast has only handful of 32 bonding areas and  quite a few 24 channels area.  If you are part of  areas where new things happen very late, thats probably reason why you are still on 16x4 bonding. 

Message 3 of 4
Miketune
Aspirant

Hello,  

You are probably right.  The modem is working fine and is properly bonding the number of channels the IP is throwing at it.  I live in northern Vermont and DSL online report has no Vermont entriy  Thank you for the help.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7