Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 resets itself - Terrible customer service from Netgear

CM1000 resets itself - Terrible customer service from Netgear

I have a hardware issue with my modem that has been going on since nearly the time I bought it. I'm getting the run-around by Netgear and it's driving me crazy. As a customer it is bad enough that I have to deal with a device I rely on so importantly, like my modem. It's made much worse when customer service hangs up on you, puts you on hold forever, or finally answers you only to tell you they will get back to you in 24-36 hours and you don't hear back for over a week and your ticket is closed for inactivity.

The actual issue is that my modem restarts itself when taking on a large load on the upstream channels. The admin portal reports voltages going out of expected ranges, and then the modem physically restarts itself (all 5 lights go off) and then the lights briefly turn red before the modem eventually finishes rebooting.

This happens fairly frequently throughout the week. Like many, I am working from home and this is extremely bothersome and embarassing during a video call. Especially one where I may be presenting. I seem to have narrowed it down to being specifically-related to uploading.

I bought the modem brand new in March of 2020. I first started encountering the issue that summer, and eventually reported it to Netgear in October when it reached a peak of happening 3-5 times a day. Now it is 1-3 times a day, but very rarely seems well-timed with important work.

Obviously my modem is out of warranty now in June of 2021, though in October (when it was under warranty), Netgear refused to fix the issue by replacing the modem and instead insisted the hardware was performing correctly and I needed to take this up with my ISP. I guess when I bought the modem I didn't realize what I was getting into and do not feel confident buying any more Netgear products in the future.

At this point I don't know what to do as calling in (eventually) gets me to a tech who says they will call me back in a few days, but the last tech that said that never followed up, and never left any information in the ticket for the next person.

My ISP is Xfinity if it matters for troubleshooting purposes. They've been out to my home 3 times and have looked at the line all the way down to the street reporting no issues. They also suggest none of my neighbors are having any regular issues with their hardware like me.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM1000 resets itself - Terrible customer service from Netgear

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.

Is there a wifi router connected to the back of the CM modem? If so, what is the brand and model#? 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 2 of 7

I'm not sure what page you're asking me to post. 

Is there a wifi router connected to the back of the CM modem? If so, what is the brand and model#? 

Eero Pro 6 - not the issue, this has happened when I am hard wired directly to the modem with my laptop.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.

I have had my ISP out on 3 occassions to do just this. They confirmed my neighbors were also not reporting issues.

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 

There are none - the line runs directly to the entry point.

Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

It is a new-ish cable, and my ISP said it was high-quality. They cleaned up the connection point but it didn't improve anything.

Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.

Yeah, I've done this like a thousand times.

Message 3 of 7

Every time I contact Netgear about the issue they tell me a tech is going to call me back. Over the course of literally a year they've said this 5 times across two different support tickets about this issue. They have never called me back. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page. Log in to the modems web page thru your wifi router at 192.168.100.1. 

Message 5 of 7

I disconnected the modem a few months ago and bought a new Arris modem to replace it because I was sick of Netgear not treating me like a customer or person. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Would have been nice to know that do we didn't waste our time here. 

Good luck. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7