Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot Upgrade C3000 Firmware with Netgear Genie

lionel25
Initiate

Cannot Upgrade C3000 Firmware with Netgear Genie

Hi,

I need expert assistance please.  My ISP will not update my C3000 because it is my private cable modem.  My attempts at updating through Netgear Genie have failed with the following message: "Router Firmware Check Completed. Failed to get firmware version information."

I am not sure what is the next step.  My firmware is outdated.

Grateful if someone could tell me another method for updating my router.  What sense does it make to by a Netgear product if the firmware cannot be readily updated when there are security risks discovered?

Thanks

Model: C3000|N300 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 7
be_sharps
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.  Wanted to do a firmware upgrade due to a separate issue of trying update a raspberry pi on my network, and it seems to be causing the router to go unresponsive and forces me to reboot it.  Router firmware version is V2.02.08, and using the Netgear Genie firmware update option says the same thing, "Router Firmware Check Completed. Failed to get firmware version information."

Message 2 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

There is no manual way to update the firmware on cable modems. The firmware gets updated automatically when the ISP is ready to release it.

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

DarrenM

Message 3 of 7
lionel25
Initiate

Message 4 of 7
chockroberty
Initiate

I'm in the same boat.  My router is at firmware version V1.01.11.  The latest is V2.02.08.  I own my modem/router; so my ISP (CableOne) does not update my firmware.  Why won't netgear let me update the firmware on MY router?

Message 5 of 7
mac66
Guide

Folks, 

I need direct expert assistance.  My ISP (WOW) does NOT and will NOT update my C3000 because it is my private cable modem.  My attempts at updating through Netgear Genie have failed with the following message: "Router Firmware Check Completed. Failed to get firmware version information."

I am not sure what is the next step.  My firmware is outdated.

CAN ANYONE show/tell/direct me (perhaps another method) for updating my router.  It's NONSENSE that Netgear creates a product and then NOT support  firmware improvements and IGNORES the fact some ISPs DO NOT 'PUSH' its patches and are NOT directly acquirable NOR readily updated when there are security risks -- known-or-undiscovered.

Thanks for your immediate attention to this issue.

Make the firmware updates available to owners of NETGEAR products.

Message 6 of 7
chockroberty
Initiate

I think Netgear has hung us out to dry.  I contacted my ISP (CableOne), who said they do NOT update customer-owned routers/modems.  It's frustrating and maddening that Netgear is treating us this way.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series