Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hidden Network Problem

IdiotSavant
Aspirant

Hidden Network Problem

Hello,

I've had a C7000v2 router for a little less than a year now and I've created a problem. I change the IP address, use MAC address filtering, and disable the broadcast of my SSIDs; everything was working great until tonight. Something has come up and I needed to change my SSIDs so, idiot me, I didn't disable MAC address filtering before I changed the SSIDs and had to do a factory reset on the router because I couldn't reconnect. I thought the router would have saved my MAC Address list when all I did was change the network name but I couldn't get on the network wirelessly or wired, this may be part of the problem.

Now I'm having a problem with connecting to my 5GHz network. With the SSID braodcasting I can connect the devices I need on my primary network (Windows 10 computer, Ubuntu Server, Android phone, and wireless printer). When I turn off the SSID broadcast, all 4 devices lose the connection. I've gone through setting up the computer and server while the SSID is hidden but I get the "cannot connect to this network" message. If I turn back on the broadcast, all 4 reconnect automatically. I haven't turned on the MAC address filter yet.

The weird part is the 2.4GHz network works just fine both hidden and broadcasting on all devices, it's only affecting the 5 network. I'd move everything over to the 2.4 but my speed test shows the DL speed at less than a tenth of what I was getting on the 5.

Any thoughts?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Hidden Network Problem

Have you tried to rename the SSID Stop the broadcast then manually connect those devices?

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to rename the SSID Stop the broadcast then manually connect those devices?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
IdiotSavant
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply Darren. I didn't try to re-rename the SSID but I did try to manually connect when the broadcst was off with no luck. I ended up giving this router to a friend who doesn't have an issue broadcasting and picking up a new router for myself.

Message 3 of 4
jsdg225
Aspirant

Great! Found the useful answer here. Thanks for sharing amazing and useful information with us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dognames

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7