Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which setup would you recommend for Xfinity?

UncSam
Follower

Which setup would you recommend for Xfinity?

Hello,

I am currently looking to purchase a new modem and router or combo for my home network as mine is becoming outdated.  I currently have Xfinity's fasted internet package and I am looking to get a setup that will provide me with optimal download speeds so that I can stream tv to multiple devices as this will be my new source of watching TV.  I am looking to possibly purchase a Nighthawk C7000 Modem/Router Combo or an Arris 6190 paired with a Nighthawk R7000.  I have read sources that have said their is an error in chip in the Arris SB 6190 so it has me concerned where as others have said the Arris/Nighthawk combo is very good.  I also wanted to see what others thought of the C7000 compared to the others.  Any information is appreciated.  

Message 1 of 4
William10a
Master

Re: Which setup would you recommend for Xfinity?

@UncSam wrote:

Hello,

I am currently looking to purchase a new modem and router or combo for my home network as mine is becoming outdated.  I currently have Xfinity's fasted internet package and I am looking to get a setup that will provide me with optimal download speeds so that I can stream tv to multiple devices as this will be my new source of watching TV.  I am looking to possibly purchase a Nighthawk C7000 Modem/Router Combo or an Arris 6190 paired with a Nighthawk R7000.  I have read sources that have said their is an error in chip in the Arris SB 6190 so it has me concerned where as others have said the Arris/Nighthawk combo is very good.  I also wanted to see what others thought of the C7000 compared to the others.  Any information is appreciated.  

If you have a round tv coaxial type cable coming from the wall to supply internet service you will the modem the modem only works with a cable signal and a router to serv your home here is the information on the arris 6190 in this link http://surfboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ARRIS_SURFboard_SB6190_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf

Message 2 of 4
William10a
Master

I did not get your question fully at first.

The  modem and router by themselves would let you size the router to your home.

The c7000 would be your all one solution and  the Arris sb6190 you could upgrade to a bigger faster router any time compared to the c7000 it is harder make it go faster and cover more area but you could cover more area  with access points or repeaters if needed later.

Each have their strong points and some weak points one way you have single device the other you have at lease two devices but easier to upgrade later.

The choice is your's in the end and what you feel like you willing to live with.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@UncSam wrote:

I am looking to possibly purchase a Nighthawk C7000 Modem/Router Combo or an Arris 6190 paired with a Nighthawk R7000.  

One thing to consider is how committed you are to Infinity.  The C7000 can only be used if you use provider that offers cable broadband.  If you wanted to switch to fiber or VDSL you'd be stuck.

Separates also give you some more flexibility when you want to upgrade.

Note you don't have to get an Arris if you are concerned about it.  You could go with a Netgear CM700.  But I think there is only one chipset available for 32x8 modems.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7