× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: AC791l and DC113a. I cannot get the cradle ethernet port to work

uga_fan13
Initiate

AC791l and DC113a. I cannot get the cradle ethernet port to work

I am having issues with my dc113a.  I purchased the DC113a a couple of weeks ago to use with my Netgear AC791l.  When I put the hotspot in the cradle, the hotspot will charge; however, the ethernet port is not working properly.  Only the amber light on the ethernet port on the back of the DC113a is blinking and the speed coming from the ethernet port is SLOW.  What am I doing wrong?

Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello uga_fan13

Have you checked the Internet setup page under Internet source there are options that only allow the cradle to charge or set different ways the cradle uses the Aircard it could be on the wrong setting.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8

I've had a similar issue.  With mine, the ethernet port is very unreliable, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  And sometimes, it will work for a little while, then suddenly stop working, causing the connected device (either my laptop, or my Xbox 360) to lose its internet connection.  I've even put in a warranty claim on the Signal Boosting Cradle and had it swapped out by Netgear under warranty for that specific issue.  Sadly, it didn't resolve the issue for me. Smiley Sad

It appears that there is a serious bug in the firmware regarding use of this hotspot in a tethered mode, via the USB port, which is also what enables the ethernet port on the Signal Boosting Cradle.  Sometimes the AC791L will correctly enter USB tethering when connected to the Cradle, and sometimes it won't.  With the Firmware Update still several months away (see my topic on that issue) there doesn't seem to be any solution right now except to switch to a different device.  But not everyone can afford to do that. Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 8

DarrenM or anyone else from Netgear, why haven't you replied back to this topic?  The inability to use the Ethernet Port on the DC113A is a MAJOR problem that needs to be resolved! Smiley Mad

Model: AirCard 791L|Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot (AC791L),DC113A|AirCard 4G LTE Signal Boosting Cradle with Ethernet
Message 4 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jack_T_Chance 

It could be a compatibility issue as the Dc113a does not fully support the AC791L here is the list of compatible devices.

https://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26864

DarrenM

Message 5 of 8

Well, DarrenM, that's quite a convenient change in the compatibility statement to make several months after Netgear discontinued the DC113A.  While the DC113A was still readily available, both Netgear.Com and Verizon Wireless' own website listed the DC113A as a fully-compatible accessory for the AC791L.  So, what you're now stating is that, in effect, Netgear LIED TO US about the compatibility of the DC113A? Smiley Frustrated

The problem here isn't the DC113A Cradle.  It was designed to be fully compatible with ALL North American and European Netgear Air Card models available at the time of its release, and all FUTURE models that would come out after it was released, which includes the AC791L.  The problem here is the FAULTY FIRMWARE FOR THE AC791L which still hasn't been updated since release, because Verizon Wireless is delaying the Firmware Update with their unnecessarily long Carrier Certification Process.  It should NOT take months or in some cases YEARS after the Firmware Update is sent to VZW for that Update to be released to the End Users of the Air Cards.  The fact that it does is totally Verizon's fault, and is something that Netgear SHOULD be working with VZW to resolve. Smiley Mad

EDIT:  DarrenM, it also states quite clearly on THIS NETGEAR PRODUCT COMPATIBILITY PAGE that the DC113A is compatible with "NETGEAR AirCard 79xS Products".  The Verizon Wireless Jetpack AC791L is part of that "79xS" series of Air Cards.  So, you didn't even direct us to the correct Product Compatibility Page. *Shaking My Head*

Model: AirCard 791L|Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot (AC791L),DC113A|AirCard 4G LTE Signal Boosting Cradle with Ethernet
Message 6 of 8
antennamatt
Aspirant

Purchase the Micro to Ethernet adapter:

Plugable USB 2.0 OTG Micro-B to 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter for Windows Tablets & Raspberry Pi Zero (ASIX AX88772A chipset) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RM3KXAU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_LsB1XR9OgwTDx
Message 7 of 8
JoeBenya
Aspirant

There is a problem with this solution as an alternative to the cradle - the adapter does not charge the AC791L battery (unlike the cradle). So it cannot act as a permanent ethernet port out. It must be removed for recharging daily.  So, great solution for road warrior, but not one looking for a permanent hotspot to ethernet connection for home use (such as in a rural internet setup).

Model: AirCard 791L|Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot (AC791L)
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7