× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

APN 1028 error on MR6500

Tmaciasm
Initiate

APN 1028 error on MR6500

Please define and supply the fix on APN 1028 error
Message 1 of 52
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: APN 1028 error on MR6500

@Tmaciasm wrote:
Please define and supply the fix on APN 1028 error

Could you please confirm whether you see the error code temporarily or it happens always and the data connection can never be set up?

Please capture a model.json file and send it to me by PM.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator (Must log in as admin first)
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Message 2 of 52
Tmaciasm
Initiate

What is your address so I can sent the  model.json file by PM.

Message 3 of 52
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

You can email me at jopeng@netgear.com.

Thanks

Message 4 of 52
dalereif
Aspirant

07-03-2023

I am getting same error on a new MR6500 Pro. The request to confirm APN data is absurd on a new device. How am I as a consumer supposed to know that and it was working anyway. We are now rebooting the device every 30 minutes so I can work while away from home. Also, no where can I find what a 1028 error means. Short of going to a local AT&T store how do I fix this expensive "brick"? I posted information yesterday but now response. Firmware is current as of 06-17-23; environment  is remote work from an RV. FYI; this device gets very warm (49 deg C) when working which seems unusual. 

So what now?

Message 5 of 52
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Could you please confirm whether you see the error code temporarily or it happens always and the data connection can never be set up?

Please capture a model.json file and send to my email jopeng@netgear.com.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator (Must log in as admin first)
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window

@dalereif wrote:

07-03-2023

I am getting same error on a new MR6500 Pro. The request to confirm APN data is absurd on a new device. How am I as a consumer supposed to know that and it was working anyway. We are now rebooting the device every 30 minutes so I can work while away from home. Also, no where can I find what a 1028 error means. Short of going to a local AT&T store how do I fix this expensive "brick"? I posted information yesterday but now response. Firmware is current as of 06-17-23; environment  is remote work from an RV. FYI; this device gets very warm (49 deg C) when working which seems unusual. 

So what now?

Message 6 of 52
Rashenfelter
Tutor

Did this get a solution?  Mine is brand new and has done this twice in 14 hours.

The device locks up at this point and even though the APN is correct (broadband using AT&T) it will not reconnect without a reboot.   I'm also wondering if everyone with this issue is using AT&T?

Message 7 of 52
Rashenfelter
Tutor

Today I had yet another lockup, this time showing error 512.

Message 8 of 52
Rashenfelter
Tutor

FYI, I went back to AT&T for a second SIM card and immediately after booting up and while still at the store I got the Error 512.

Message 9 of 52
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Rashenfelter wrote:

FYI, I went back to AT&T for a second SIM card and immediately after booting up and while still at the store I got the Error 512.

Could you please help to check what is the number starting with 89xxx printed on the SIM card?

We noticed that ATT has many different SIM card variants. They may have different configurations that may contribute to such error message. It is also related to network conditions as well.

Thanks

Message 10 of 52
Rashenfelter
Tutor

I DM'd it to you.   Also, when you say "network conditions" do you mean coverage or something else?

Message 11 of 52
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Rashenfelter wrote:

I DM'd it to you.   Also, when you say "network conditions" do you mean coverage or something else?

The network conditions means that the network is overloaded, etc. When you see the error code, it means the device was trying to connect, but the network somehow prevents the data connection to be set up.

Thanks

John

Message 12 of 52
Rashenfelter
Tutor

Got it.   

that makes sense as to why it's so random.   It's strange it did it right after the first bootup but since it didn't do it again until just now, maybe that was just a coincidence.  

Message 13 of 52
JT240Z
Luminary

That's a very obscure and alarming error message.  Shouldn't the device simply say that it cannot connect to the network.

Message 14 of 52
Rashenfelter
Tutor

I'm more concerned that it doesn't seem to try to reconnect.  The only way I've been able to correct it is to reboot.   It would be good to have the device try to reconnect or have a button when we log into it to "reconnect".

Message 15 of 52
JT240Z
Luminary

Agreed.  Auto Reconnect when able should be applied and automatic.  That error message appears to be a system error message and would lead me to think that the device was in error mode.  Almost like an unhandled exception error in programming.

Message 16 of 52
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@JT240Z wrote:

Agreed.  Auto Reconnect when able should be applied and automatic.  That error message appears to be a system error message and would lead me to think that the device was in error mode.  Almost like an unhandled exception error in programming.

Thanks for the suggestion. We are investigating the issue. Some error codes returned by the network means the network is not ready for data connection. Usually when this happens, the carrier doesn't allow the device keeps reconnecting. It may stress the network further. We will check how to resolve the issue gracefully.

Regards

John

Message 17 of 52
Darky28
Aspirant

Im in Italy with my brand new Nighthawk M6 Pro...

I get  APN 1028 and 512 like all 20-30 minutes and have to reboot the device to reconnect.

So i spend 1000$ on a faulty device that doesnt work? 😞

Message 18 of 52
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Darky28 wrote:

Im in Italy with my brand new Nighthawk M6 Pro...

I get  APN 1028 and 512 like all 20-30 minutes and have to reboot the device to reconnect.

So i spend 1000$ on a faulty device that doesnt work? 😞

Could you please advise what carrier you are using in Italy and what is the APN setting?

Thanks

John

Message 19 of 52
Darky28
Aspirant

Network "voda IT"

Technology: LTE

I use a prepayd german vodafone simcard with unlimited roaming data withun europe.

My sim card works perfect in my tablet, but as soon as i use it inside the nighthawk m6 pro and a few of my family use youtube or netflix it crashes within 15-20 minutes with the 512 or 1028 error requiring me to reboot the device manually

APN Setting is:

Data checked

Roamingdata checked

Band; All (3G+4G+5G)

Network mode : Auto

Network: "voda IT"

APN:

APN Name: Vodafone

APN: web.vodafone.de

PDP: IPV4

PDP Roaming: IPV4

Authentication: PAP

Message 20 of 52
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for the quick reply. If possible, could you please capture a model.json file and email to me: jopeng@netgear.com.

Please mention your community ID for easy tracking.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window

Thanks

John

Message 21 of 52
Darky28
Aspirant

Hi John

I sent you an email with the model.json of the router.

Hope that helps narrow down the issue

Message 22 of 52
Darky28
Aspirant

at 21:00 today i started watching a Film on Netflix on my dell laptop and was playing some clash of clans on my mobile phone, Heres the times when the router died with the corresponding errors:

21:15 - Error 512
22:23 - Error 1028
23:28 - Error 1028
23:40 - Error 512

So thats pretty much the frequency how often the router crashes 😞

Message 23 of 52
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Darky28 wrote:

at 21:00 today i started watching a Film on Netflix on my dell laptop and was playing some clash of clans on my mobile phone, Heres the times when the router died with the corresponding errors:

21:15 - Error 512
22:23 - Error 1028
23:28 - Error 1028
23:40 - Error 512

So thats pretty much the frequency how often the router crashes 😞

I checked the log you provided. You are using MR6450. 

We have a new release for the device  and I have set you device to upgrade to the release over the air. You can do a manual update check by tapping Settings -> More -> Software Update -> Check for Update button.

The new release fixed an issue that the device can't get on 5G network even though the SIM card and network supports 5G. Please check whether the new release can resolve your issue. If not, please send another model.json file for me to check.

Could you please confirm your SIM card has LTE only subscription?

Thanks

John

Message 24 of 52
Darky28
Aspirant

H John

Thanks much for the fast reply. I can confirm theres now a new firmware available.

The router just installed the version NTGX65_12.01.31.00

My german vodafone prepayed sim card has indeed 5G already included, but I doubt at the location im doing holidays I'll have 5G antennas.

I just checked the Mobile setting after the firmware update and it seems I indeed received a slightly different configuration for the APN from vodafone.

PDP changed from IPV4 to IPV4V6

On the page Status -> Network i noticed something:

At the Technology section it shows:

4G then 4GPLUS then 4G then 4GPLUS seems to toggle quite a bit but so far the internet connection works.

I will check if with the new Firmware the 512 and 1028 errors will stop and will report back tomorrow in the thread here.

Thanks

Message 25 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7