× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Does MR1100 consume SIM Data when not being used?

Spectrum1
Tutor

Does MR1100 consume SIM Data when not being used?

Hi All

I plan to have the MR1100 powered on all the time as it will be located in the attic, so switching it on and off when it’s not being used will not be possible. The data SIM I will be using is a pay-as-you-go that has a preloaded amount of data on it.

When my laptop is switched off and there is no activity between the laptop and the MR1100, will the MR1100 still continue to communicate with the 4G network and consume my SIM data? If yes, is there a simple and quick way to disconnect the MR1100s ‘4G’ connection while I’m not using it via my laptop?

I need to try and conserve the preloaded data on my SIM to only when I’m using the laptop and not have the MR1100 leak its data away on its own.

Many thanks

Message 1 of 4
mli
Tutor
Tutor

If you leave the MR1100 connected to the 4G network it will consume a small (possibly tiny) amount of data to maintain that connection.

The main function which might consume more data is if the MR1100 finds a new firmware version has been release and automatically updates itself (I'm unaware of how to disable this function). Although even then the amount of data will not be massive.

The main case you might consume a lot of data without expecting it is if you leave a large number of small devices connected to the MR1100 but if the only device that might draw a lot of data is the laptop, this case does not apply.

There is a simple way to disconnect the MR1100's connection by unticking the box which allows it to consume data via its management page.

Instructions for how to access the management page and control cellular functions can be found in the manual: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/MR1100.aspx#docs

Message 2 of 4
Spectrum1
Tutor

Many thanks Mli

Yes, I can see the tick box next to ‘Data’ which I can untick to stop any 4G data consumption when the MR1100 is idle. It's a shame that you can't disable automatic firmware updates on the MR1100.

Luckily the MR1100 will only ever have a single PC attached to it, so no fear of a data leaky device anywhere.

Message 3 of 4
mli
Tutor
Tutor

Actually, Security -> Parental Controls and Security -> Schedule might be more appropriate for automatically cutting access.

I think an idle connection would struggle to use more than about 200 MB per month, and likely it will be a lot less.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7